I doubt they have "Appleseed Shoots" in Canada, since they teach about the American Revolutionary War at the shoots. But an Appleseed event is one great way to learn shooting skills, safety, and marksmanship. Your info shows you in Ontario - don't know where in Ontario, but if it's close to the US border it might be well worth your time to make a trip to the US for a day of Appleseed shooting. There are lots of Appleseed events here. The instructors are great, and I'm sure they would arrange a loaner rifle for you to borrow at the shoot.

During the breaks from shooting they teach about the Revolutionary War while you relax a bit. They tell stories that are very interesting and entertaining, I would think even for a non-American. The shoots are two days long, but you can sign up for only one day if that's preferred. You get FULL days of shooting instruction and fun. You will shoot many many hundreds of rounds and really get to know your rifle. Appleseeds are dirt cheap. Women used to be able to attend the events for free, but they may charge some nominal fee now.

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/