Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#258954 - 04/12/13 02:56 PM Re: Compass question [Re: KenK]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: KenK
A button compass probably won't help much, but at least it will help you walk in a straight line ... and might give you a tiny bit of confidence.

I'm of a similar mind on this. I've really questioned the usefulness of button compasses in many survival kits. Without a map and at least a general idea of where you are, I can't see them being much good. I guess as a minimum, you'd need to have a known baseline for one to help.

That said, I've started looking at them (and much of my "emergency" kit) as a back-ups. I should have a base-plate compass and map, but if something were to happen to my compass (loss, damage, etc) then having the button in my kit should actually be helpful.

#258955 - 04/12/13 03:21 PM Re: Compass question [Re: ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Of all the items placed on a list of outdoor essentials, a compass is the item I could most easily do without. A map is far more necessary. There are lots of alternative methods for establishing the direction of true North. I carry one, partly out of habit, and partly because I use the mirror more often than that little pointy red needle thingee....

#258981 - 04/12/13 07:25 PM Re: Compass question [Re: ]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
A button compass can be used to verify the operation of a primary compass.I have seen people swear that their compass was broke because they knew that it was "that direction".When you have two things saying north is that way it makes it easier to admit you're wrong.Then again if it is 9:00am and both your compasses are pointing at the sun,you could be standing on an iron deposit.It happened to me.....

BOATMAN
John

#258987 - 04/12/13 08:53 PM Re: Compass question [Re: widget]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: widget
Button compasses are mostly for military SERE kits. They are in the kits so that they can be concealed, even swallowed if captured.

Why in the world would you want to swallow your compass? I'm not military, but that strikes me as an odd thing to do.

#258989 - 04/12/13 09:08 PM Re: Compass question [Re: boatman]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: boatman
Then again if it is 9:00am and both your compasses are pointing at the sun,you could be standing on an iron deposit.It happened to me.....

BOATMAN
John
I have had the exact same experience. Fortunately, it was still dark and the North Star was plainly visible. The most common situation requiring compass use is dense fog which hides landmarks and celestial clues. If you are on unfamiliar terrain, it is compass time, or perhaps time to stop moving.

Edited by hikermor (04/12/13 11:09 PM)

#258991 - 04/12/13 09:28 PM Re: Compass question [Re: haertig]
widget Offline
Addict

If you are about to be captured and have a button compass, you can try to swallow it. That way if you have a chance to escape later, you'll have a compass that can at least keep you going in one direction. You'll most likely only be able to move at night, they'll be looking for you, etc.

Of course, if you DO swallow the compass, it will reappear later, likely from another orifice. need I say more?

#258998 - 04/12/13 10:20 PM Re: Compass question [Re: widget]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: widget
Of course, if you DO swallow the compass, it will reappear later, likely from another orifice. need I say more?

I can just hear the conversation now ...

"Here's the compass. You navigate while I keep watch."

"Heck no! It's YOUR compass. YOU navigate!"

#259114 - 04/15/13 02:35 AM Re: Compass question [Re: ]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Yeah but if you poop out a SERE compass, it only points towards your butt from then on... smile

#259123 - 04/15/13 03:44 AM Re: Compass question [Re: haertig]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

LMAO at heartig. The compass is for a kit I'm putting together for a relative for use in the military.

#259131 - 04/15/13 02:27 PM Re: Compass question [Re: boatman]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
While I like the compasses I have and use now, this thread got me looking at some of the smaller models and the one I really liked was the Suunto M-9 wrist compass. Larger compasses like my Suunto M3G are probably more accurate, but how much accuracy do you need. Button compasses are smaller but not as convenient as having a compass on your wrist -- no digging for it in your pocket just to drop it in the grass/river/mud. Looks like a good compromise that should be accurate enough.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 335 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by chaosmagnet
06/16/24 11:34 AM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.