Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#258779 - 04/10/13 02:56 AM Re: What's TSA's rationale for allowing Bic lighters? [Re: haertig]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Originally Posted By: haertig
Next they'll be trying to ban high capacity magazines, the ones with more than 100 pages, on airplanes. Sheesh.
Oh no!!! No more Sky Mall to look at!!!!!!

#258781 - 04/10/13 03:07 AM Re: What's TSA's rationale for allowing Bic lighters? [Re: MoBOB]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

EEEEKKKKK!!!!!! I love Skymall. All the pretty things I want but don't need. And I'm not allowed to buy since I went a little nuts at TravelSmith, Levenger and a few other places with shiny, pretty things :,(

#258788 - 04/10/13 04:21 AM Re: What's TSA's rationale for allowing Bic lighters? [Re: haertig]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Since starting this thread, I read an article that explained the rationale. Basically, TSA was spending too much time confiscating matches and lighters. Plus, people could easily smuggle them by using simple tricks. So, TSA punted on this one.

Here's a wild guess that has no evidence backing it. TSA had to ban either marijuana (including medicinal) or lighters and matches. TSA chose the former. See the list.

#258790 - 04/10/13 05:31 AM Re: What's TSA's rationale for allowing Bic lighters? [Re: ireckon]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: ireckon
Here's a wild guess that has no evidence backing it. TSA had to ban either marijuana (including medicinal) or lighters and matches. TSA chose the former. See the list.

As Cheech and Chong found out the hard way, you can't smoke even in the lavatory. Not sure I buy your thesis. But that's a funny one!

#258951 - 04/12/13 02:31 PM Re: What's TSA's rationale for allowing Bic lighters? [Re: ireckon]
widget Offline
Addict

From the beginnings of passenger flight, it was ok to carry a lighter, matches and to smoke on a plane. The smoking went away, to many health concerns. However, smokers are in dire need of a cigarette when they land, especially at another airport waiting for another flight. How do they light their cig? Buy a lighter and have to ditch it again before the next flight.

Lighters are not much of a weapon, nor are P-38 can openers or tiny Swiss Army knives, yet all were banned for awhile. it makes perfect sense to me to re-think some of the "security" changes made as a reaction to 9/11. I personally do not feel safe on a 40 year old airplane that takes off and lands 10 times a day, or more.

#258958 - 04/12/13 03:34 PM Re: What's TSA's rationale for allowing Bic lighters? [Re: widget]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: widget
I personally do not feel safe on a 40 year old airplane that takes off and lands 10 times a day, or more.

That old plane gets regular care, inspection, and maintenance, unlike many of us. The air frame may be forty years old, but many, if not most of the moving parts are much younger.

I have flown regularly on charter flights to the Channel Islands (U.S.) since 1982 on a plane that was old then. It is probably pushing fifty years. It gets very good care, and I know the pilots are thoughtful and cautious.

With every passing year, I appreciate old things more and more.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 754 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.