Tarred nylon seine twine - AKA "bank line"

I bought 2 rolls of different thickness to play around with. I sourced it from Memphis Net & Twine Co (Tennessee) but there are a number of different vendors out there. It appears that the product started off as a product for maritime fishing, possibly Louisiana. Somewhere it has picked up the label as bank line, trot line and net line.

The rolls were about 1 lb. rolled on a cardboard core. #12 twine has about 1649' and a tensile strength of 106 lb, 1/16". #36 twine has about 504' and a tensile strength of 340 lb, 5/64" diameter. Both are approx. $10/roll. It is supposed to be resistant to abrasion, oil, gasoline, mildew, rot, marine growth and most chemicals. The embedded tar has a distinct smell to it. I'm not sure if this is the type of line you would want to use for snares.

To get a feel for the cordage I spun off about 20' of each and wound it on around a Klean Canteen.

Both types of cordage feel fairly stiff not limp but at the same time very workable. The twine is embedded with tar and has a slight tackniness feel to it. It feels like it will both tie & hold a knot easily yet it won't bind into an unfastenable knot. I look forward have more time with the product.

Note: one thing I didn't realize until I started playing around with it that the tar leaves a bit of black residue on your hands. You will want to wash your hands before eating.