Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#257297 - 03/07/13 05:11 PM Re: TSA chief backs 'knife' decision; axes+machetes 2 [Re: chaosmagnet]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

Not all flights have Air Marshals on board. They don't have the manpower. Also, it's easier to take a hostage with a blade, even a small one. That's not to say I disagree with the decision.

I was referring to the nested article in which air Marshalls (actually groups representing air Marshalls) were "outraged" saying the Marshalls are at greater risk because of these small knives. So, I was referring specifically to flights in which air Mashalls are on board.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/06/travel/tsa-carry-on-changes/index.html

Well, the Marshalls may be a greater risk of attack from someone yielding a SAK, but it's less risk of attack from someone whose preference is pepper spray or a plastic/liquid explosive because TSA can now concentrate their efforts on the latter.

#257299 - 03/07/13 08:03 PM Re: TSA chief backs 'knife' decision; axes+machetes 2 [Re: Bingley]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

After further thought, the former head has another good point (although maybe accidentally)...

The way the policy is now (restricting only certain knives), you actually put MORE burden on the TSA. Now, the TSA has to stop what they're doing and distinguish between 6 cm and 6.5 cm, or whatever the line of different is. Whereas before, all knives were banned and the method steps were simpler: (1) See a knife; (2) confiscate the knife.

#257300 - 03/07/13 09:01 PM Re: TSA chief backs 'knife' decision; axes+machetes 2 [Re: Bingley]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Fine with me if they continued to ban all knives of any size. So many nutcases these days, I'd just as soon not worry about any of the passengers having any blade.

Since the 1990s, I've been accustomed to FedExing or UPSing all my luggage and gear to my destination ahead of my flight. That way my stuff is insured for its real value and it is less likely to disappear. That's domestic travel, not overseas.

Airline travel is so much more pleasant with just wallet, the clothes I'm wearing and a modest-sized carryon (shoulder bag) with toiletries, a couple clothing items, camera and my Kindle.

Not going to need a blade on the plane and surviving a commercial flight that crash lands in the wilderness is not so plausible that I'm going to worry about having a knife in my carryon.

#257304 - 03/07/13 09:47 PM Re: TSA chief backs 'knife' decision; axes+machetes 2 [Re: Dagny]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Hmmm, I really don't have a dog in this fight since I no longer fly. However, when I did fly before 9-11 I carried a small locking blade in my backpack, not so much to survive after a crash but because that's where I always kept that small folder. The crazies were not a concern. The few times I traveled by air post 9-11 it was always for work, but those requirements are done.

This new TSA decision on knives will not change my attitude on flying in the least. If I can drive, I'll carry a Benchmade 710 as EDC with a .308 bolt gun cased in back. IMO driving is much more pleasant. If I can't drive, I'll reconsider whether I really need to travel at all.

#257305 - 03/07/13 10:14 PM Re: TSA chief backs 'knife' decision; axes+machetes 2 [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I welcome this development. It means my Leatherman Squirt PS4, my normal EDC, can now come with me in the cabin on those increasingly rare occasions when I fly. Not exactly a machete, it is still quite useful in daily life.

#257306 - 03/07/13 11:25 PM Re: TSA chief backs 'knife' decision; axes+machetes 2 [Re: Bingley]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
how long are box cutter blades?

I personally think there is virtually nothing that can be done that will actually prevent another similar action.

It is just too easy to infiltrate the airports to sneak just about anything past. No serious terrorist is going to try and get past security again.

They will just get someone hired who can waltz right past. Or get a guy hired as a TSA screener. He could let a whole batch of them past.

I would not be at all surprised if AQ already has their moles in place.

Bob

#257307 - 03/07/13 11:31 PM Re: TSA chief backs 'knife' decision; axes+machetes 2 [Re: ILBob]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: ILBob
how long are box cutter blades?

Box cutters are still banned mostly for emotional reasons apparently.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/06/travel/tsa-carry-on-changes/index.html

#257360 - 03/09/13 04:59 PM Re: TSA chief backs 'knife' decision; axes+machetes 2 [Re: Bingley]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
In the spirit of trying to do something productive and without taking a position one way or the other concerning the logic of the new rules and without any intent to encourage others to do so, can we discuss what knives are likely to comply under the new rules? It looks like my Leatherman Micra and Victorinox Classic SD would comply. I question whether the Victorinox Huntsman, Tinkerer, and Climber fit the bill. I was also thinking about the Case Peanut 3220 CV.

#257361 - 03/09/13 05:13 PM Re: TSA chief backs 'knife' decision; axes+machetes 2 [Re: celler]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Qualifying knives were discussed for a bit at TSA to Allow Pocket Knives On Planes until the thread was closed.

#257366 - 03/09/13 07:11 PM Re: TSA chief backs 'knife' decision; axes+machetes 2 [Re: Russ]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Originally Posted By: Russ
Qualifying knives were discussed for a bit at TSA to Allow Pocket Knives On Planes until the thread was closed.

That was kind of my point. We can have a useful discussion on this issue.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 800 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
The price of gold
by brandtb
Today at 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.