Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#257232 - 03/05/13 11:32 PM Re: TSA to Allow Pocket Knives On Planes [Re: haertig]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: haertig
Quote:
...up to two golf clubs, ski poles, as well as sporting sticks used for hockey, lacrosse...

Would those fit under your seat or in the overhead bins to qualify as a carry-on in the first place?

I think this change puts that decision in the hands of the airline. It seems to me that what security allows through its gates and what the airline allows for space reasons should be two, mutually exclusive things.

That said, some things like trekking poles & pool queues can often be broken down or otherwise collapsed which shouldn't be a space concern.

#257233 - 03/05/13 11:40 PM Re: TSA to Allow Pocket Knives On Planes [Re: celler]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: celler
Six cm? Who came up with that?

From what I've read, this seems to be the European Union recommendation & the TSA has gone with it for global conformity.

#257234 - 03/06/13 12:20 AM Re: TSA to Allow Pocket Knives On Planes [Re: Michael2]
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
Well thank goodness for some sanity to return to the airways. I took my Swiss Army Knife every time I traveled overseas and it hurts my feelings that I can't have it in the cabin to file my nails, cut my sausage or fidget with something needing repair or adjustment.
I would hate to think how terrible it would be to even attempt to actually stick any individual with such a tool. I am certain the damage done to the knife wielder would equal or exceed that of the stabee...

#257235 - 03/06/13 12:38 AM Re: TSA to Allow Pocket Knives On Planes [Re: Michael2]
Jolt Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Maine
I am glad to hear this. One less thing I have to be without when I fly...I travel with only carry-on baggage whenever possible so it limits what I can bring in terms of being prepared. At least now I can bring a small SAK (or maybe a regular one, will have to measure the large blade on my Huntsman). I'm sure they won't start allowing pepper spray any time soon though...

#257237 - 03/06/13 12:46 AM Re: TSA to Allow Pocket Knives On Planes [Re: Jolt]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The Huntsman is 91mm closed the same as my Spartan. The large blade is 7 cm, 1 cm too long.

#257241 - 03/06/13 01:29 AM Re: TSA to Allow Pocket Knives On Planes [Re: ]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
That would be the real blade. The PDF from the TSA shows them including the unsharpened section near the hinge.

#257243 - 03/06/13 01:53 AM Re: TSA to Allow Pocket Knives On Planes [Re: Michael2]
Pete Offline
Veteran

FORGET IT ... I don't trust 'em. :-)
They took a perfectly nice multi-tool (with a tiny blade) from me in Salt Lake three years ago. I was not a happy camper - that thing was a gift. :-( No way I'm getting burned on that one again.

So if my plane crashes and the passengers are forced to EAT each other in a survival situation ... all because no-one had a decent knife ... well I told ya' so.

HAHAHA!!!

Pete2

#257244 - 03/06/13 01:55 AM Re: TSA to Allow Pocket Knives On Planes [Re: Michael2]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
That's rough. Salt Lake is the ONLY place I have received what I would consider to be professional treatment from the TSA.

#257245 - 03/06/13 02:22 AM Re: TSA to Allow Pocket Knives On Planes [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Yep, like I said they include the ricasso in the measurement and with that the blade on a 91mm SAK is ~70mm/7cm.

Watch and see how many 91mm SAK's TSA collects.

The SAK 3.3 in/84mm size is the way to go. I don't have one.

#257247 - 03/06/13 02:32 AM Re: TSA to Allow Pocket Knives On Planes [Re: Denis]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Denis
The weird thing is the TSA document that illustrates these changes shows what looks like a standard SAK (something like a hiker ... with the phillips instead of the corkscrew) as an example of an allowed knife. I thought standard SAKs have blade lengths just over 6 cm?

Here's the document: Changes to Prohibited Items List (PIL) - March 2013

The complete list of criteria for allowable knives is:
  • The blade is no longer than 2.36 inches or 6 centimeters in length
  • The blade width is no more than ½ inch at its widest point
  • The knife does not have a locking or fixed blade
  • The knife does not have a molded grip

This sounds like typical gentleman's folders or micro-tools are permissible. If they are expressing in in centimeters for length, why not express the depth in centimeters too? as in 6 x 1.27?

I supposed the TSA is getting tired of collecting a ton (metric tonne?) of these mini knives and decided to ease the restrictions? I hope other countries loosen up on their requirements too because I would love to be able to travel with my Leatherman Squirt tools. I've lost 1 small decorative folder because it was absentmindedly in my pack and almost got tossed from the flight.

I just noticed in the regs that they are going to allow hiking/ski poles as well - super! That would mean that I could put them in a medium size pack and not worry about checking them.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 328 Guests and 51 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.