The fact that they say 300 units doesn't bother me- we've had several people use that number before (SecDefs, SecStates, POTUSes, past and present) when talking about DevGroup. But most guys build their own kit.

So a couple theories. One, someone realized there is no official survival kit and had horrors and these are being bought to be the official, issued items. But I've got a hunch and nothing to support it- something about this feels like a prepackage. Slinking in with a cover with no real gear beyond laptops, dark clothes, and not even as much as swiss army knife is relatively easy; then the weapons, E&E gear, and the big bundle of cash meets you there, either with help of someone at the embassy or an air drop or whatever.

As for the p38, yes, it's old. But there are lots and lots of places where I can get canned food much easier than wet pack, and if you are building your supplies from indigenous materials, you take what you can get. Besides, the p38 is one of my favorite multitools.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.