Originally Posted By: comms
I have a couple of close friends who have completed Selection or been some of the last to drop. You have all describe what a goruck challenge is very well and why its bricks not real world stuff. Mostly because the weight is consistent, easily found and cheap. I might do a heavy in 2014. I am doing Death Race in Vermont this summer so probably won't travel after that for races. Heavy were only created because a couple guys thought the regular challenges were to easy and started doing back to back classes. SERE Performance also does similar events and i find them very cool. Different cool.

Once I make it through Challenge, I plan on doing a Heavy by mid-2014 also. Then seeing how I feel about doing a Selection after that. They offer both in Atlanta which is really close to Birmingham.

Started training a couple of weeks ago. Mon/Wed/Fri it's 1/4 mile run, 3x15 pushups, 3x20 situps, 3x3 chinups. Tue/Thu it's 1.33 mile run on the treadmill. Sat or Sun I ruck at a normal hiking pace 5 miles or so depending on terrain with a 26.8 pound pack with 2 bricks in it so far plus water and stuff.

By December 14th, planning on being at 20x20 pushups, 20x25 situps, 5x12 chinups and 20x15 dips. Also extending my run distances by .33 mile every other week from now until then. Ruck distances by a bit more each time.

I'm already down from 187 to 178 pounds over a couple weeks.

Edited by 2005RedTJ (02/14/13 12:51 AM)