Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#256246 - 02/05/13 08:02 PM Re: Switching to Double Edge Saftey Razors [Re: Quietly_Learning]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Does anyone who is using a double edge safety razor have a blade recommendation?

Gillette Mach 3 Power Razor (triple edge blade cartridge) + King of Shaves Alpha oil + Nivea For Men After Shave Soothing Balm 100ml

Shaving systems are of course quite a personal choice but the above works well for me.

#256290 - 02/07/13 12:05 AM Re: Switching to Double Edge Saftey Razors [Re: Frisket]
Quietly_Learning Offline

Thanks lono

Thanks am fear liath mor.
I'm looking for which blades people use in their double edge safety razors but I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

#256295 - 02/07/13 04:12 AM Re: Switching to Double Edge Saftey Razors [Re: Frisket]
Eastree Offline
Journeyman

Avoid Feather blades at least in the beginning. They're very aggressive razors. Supposedly, the more aggressive blades behave better in the less aggressive razors (more guards etc.), and the less aggressive blades do better in more aggressive razors, as some have said. If you want, I can recommend a couple forums I used to frequent several years ago about wet shaving, where the folks are as full of shaving knowledge as people here are about preparedness.

#256303 - 02/07/13 03:56 PM Re: Switching to Double Edge Saftey Razors [Re: Eastree]
Quietly_Learning Offline

Originally Posted By: Eastree
If you want, I can recommend a couple forums I used to frequent several years ago about wet shaving, where the folks are as full of shaving knowledge as people here are about preparedness.

Thanks Eastree, if you would pm me or send us all the sites that would be great.
Knowledge is a good thing.

#256305 - 02/07/13 05:54 PM Re: Switching to Double Edge Saftey Razors [Re: Frisket]
Frisket Offline
Addict

So My stuff arrived and Im having fun with the shaving cream. Making a Lather turned out to be more difficult then I expected. Its all a guessing game on water/cream ratio to get the right texture which is suppose to be a thick creamy lather not a fluffy or runny lather and getting this consistency takes around 60-90 seconds if proper water is added.

Also turns out The mug you use is pretty personal. I got 3 mugs, a big tall wide flared soup mug, a big short wide flat soup mug and a small palm sized round cup from a shave kit.

The big huge mug is a pain causing the brush to clang hard at the sides Or worse my fingertips. The small cup is Fine but of course small and harder to control the lather from rising out of but good enough where Ill keep it and use it for travel.

The Short stout flat edged wide mug seems best for me. Since its short my hands not deep in the mug smashing around between the brush handle and mug nor is the brush handle clanging around. It would also turn out the flatness of the sides keeps the cream from rising out of the mug.

Best bet Id say is do what I did and buy a few cheapo 2-3$ mugs to try out. It really can make the difference in enjoyment frothing up a lather. My next try is gonna be plastic Bowls such as melamine/Nylon. It would be nice to not have the clanging and fear of smashing the heavy mug into the sink.

#256334 - 02/08/13 08:13 PM Re: Switching to Double Edge Saftey Razors [Re: Frisket]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Originally Posted By: Frisket
The small cup is Fine but of course small and harder to control the lather from rising out of but good enough where Ill keep it and use it for travel.

FWIW, I just use a leftover coffee cup, but sometimes I go online at eBay and look at all the old vintage shaving mugs, and maybe I'll buy one someday.

When travelling I don't take a mug with me, but I take the cake of shaving soap, and just drop it in the bottom of a drinking tumbler from the hotel. When I'm done, I just take the cake and leave the glass behind. At least it means they have to wash it !

I have no idea what works best, but I like to drop the brush in the bottom of the sink and run hot water over it for about a minute while I'm doing something else. Then pick it up, shake off some of the water, and use what's left to churn up the lather. The lather tends to be warmish that way. A brush with a bit of water on it makes a good lather, too much is too runny, and a dry brush won't churn up any lather at all. Try things, make mistakes - its only shaving.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 328 Guests and 51 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.