Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#256052 - 01/31/13 05:06 AM Re: Switching to Double Edge Saftey Razors [Re: MoBOB]
Frisket Offline
Addict

I tend to let it grow out to about a half inch then use a pair of hair clippers to buzz it down. I bought the same clippers my Barber uses and they "where" fantastic. Heavy Duty Built like a solid brick with heavy solid plastic and a nice heavy clicking switch.

Then the Blade broke...Yep there is a plastic lil wafer betweeen the two blades and it snapped. 25$ to replace it.

Hopefully this was a fluke or one time deal since i only used it so often and she uses hers every damn day on 10s of people per day.

Originally Posted By: Denis
I've always used an electric razor, like my Dad before me, and now understand the investment in my simple electric razor has saved me lots of money.

Some people cant use one sadly for sensitive skin. The Safety razor is apparently according to many sources the "Cleanest smoothest least irritating" shave you can get.

Originally Posted By: Matt26
I like it so much I'm going to be dropping a ton of hints for a new razor from now til fathers day!

It's also a really nice masculine way to connect with the past. You see I'm outnumbered by the 4 women in my household! crazy

Merkur, Parker and Edwin Jagger seem to be most popular for handles. You should also check out getting a pre and or post shave cream. Some say it helps some say its Bunk but hopefully for me it will help.

Originally Posted By: MoBOB
I applaud all who are finding ways to economize. It frees up money for prepping stuff.

Not only cheap but highly effective, Reduces Waste, And is just overall a nicer tho longer experience while shaving. Its Also pretty darn cheap way to stock up on them for that nice close prepper shave when the end comes

#256111 - 02/02/13 02:01 AM Re: Switching to Double Edge Saftey Razors [Re: Frisket]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I have a very wiry beard. I follow the example of Paul Bunyan. I pound in my whiskers with a ball peen hammer and chew 'em off on the inside.

Attachments
images.jpg

#256123 - 02/02/13 05:43 PM Re: Switching to Double Edge Saftey Razors [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I thought Paul Bunyan used a double bit axe.....

#256137 - 02/02/13 11:00 PM Re: Switching to Double Edge Saftey Razors [Re: Frisket]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I've been shaving with a double edged safety razor for going over three years now. I picked up the razor for $5 at an antique store, they had plenty to choose from. My hair is pretty soft, so the blades last four months or more! Plus, they shave so close that I personally don't need to shave more than twice a week (thank you slow beard growing Native American blood!). Your milage may vary. I use shaving soap from Walmart and keep it in an old coffee mug. My biggest expense was a $12 real badger-hair brush, also bought at an antique store.

Disposable razors are a huge waste of money!!
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#256139 - 02/02/13 11:11 PM Re: Switching to Double Edge Saftey Razors [Re: Blast]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Everyone works out a suitable technique eventually. I shave daily in the shower, using whatever shampoo or soap is handy - I think the hot water does most of the beard softening. I use a disposable razor for a month or slightly more. Using disposable razors, I shave for about a dollar a year. I tried out double edge razors eons ago.

#256198 - 02/04/13 07:13 PM Re: Switching to Double Edge Saftey Razors [Re: Frisket]
Quietly_Learning Offline

This I a very timely topic. I've been experimenting with different disposables for two months because I'm tired of throwing away money on the almost $20 per 4pk of disposable cartridges. I have a Homer beard that grows back 10sec after I shave so blades dull quickly. 100 blades for less than $15 plus a handle sounds worth a try.

Does anyone who is using a double edge safety razor have a blade recommendation? There are too many to chose from and I would like to limit my experimentation to what works well for others.

Does the weight of the handle make a big difference in the closeness of the shave?

Thanks all

#256199 - 02/04/13 07:27 PM Re: Switching to Double Edge Saftey Razors [Re: Quietly_Learning]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
I use Gillette Brand blades, but only because it's what my store happens to carry. I don't think it really matters. As far as handle weight, it shouldn't have any effect. I'm currently using a cheap safety razor that cost less than 10.00. The head is certainly heavier than the handle, still the best shave I've ever had.

#256202 - 02/04/13 07:53 PM Re: Switching to Double Edge Saftey Razors [Re: Quietly_Learning]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Quietly_Learning
This I a very timely topic. I've been experimenting with different disposables for two months because I'm tired of throwing away money on the almost $20 per 4pk of disposable cartridges. I have a Homer beard that grows back 10sec after I shave so blades dull quickly. 100 blades for less than $15 plus a handle sounds worth a try.

Does anyone who is using a double edge safety razor have a blade recommendation? There are too many to chose from and I would like to limit my experimentation to what works well for others.

Does the weight of the handle make a big difference in the closeness of the shave?

Thanks all

Ive only shaved about 7 times now and used only Merkur and Derby blades for them so I cant give you much info on personal experience. I can however Give you info on what I have researched So take it with grains of salt and such.

Derby seems most popular for the cheap mid range blades. The weight and handle length is personal comfort for keeping it at the proper angle. Its A mix and match game till you get the proper setup for you. Picking a good shave cream seams to make a big difference. I tried a few different and it makes a HUGE difference. So far locally available without using a brush "Bump Stop" shave cream worked best with No burn at all.

#256227 - 02/05/13 11:55 AM Re: Switching to Double Edge Saftey Razors [Re: Frisket]
Quietly_Learning Offline

Thanks Matt26 & Frisket

#256234 - 02/05/13 03:42 PM Re: Switching to Double Edge Saftey Razors [Re: Frisket]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I recently took up shaving with a razor and blades bought from Duluth Trading. Some complain the handle is a little short but I have no complaints. Definitely the closest shave I've ever had, and only some minor abrasions shaving on the second or third time with the same blade, which I close up with a bit of alum. Total kit was probably $45 and that includes pre-purchasing a year's worth of blades.

Got a reminder yesterday that TSA doesn't like the double edge blades when you carry on, they took them away and also unloaded my razor. No worries, they didn't treat me like a terrorist, and I picked up some Wilkinson Swords (tm) at a local Walmart for $2 to shave with this week.

Shaving with this razor takes me back to watching my Dad shave on Saturdays, and looking forward to shaving that way too. Only it took about 40 years for my beard to toughen and grow often enough to do it.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 350 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.