Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#256174 - 02/03/13 08:10 PM Course Correction: Courtesy and Politics
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
We've had several issues recently with posters failing to use appropriate courtesy. I've sent more "gentle reminders" in the last two weeks than in the previous six months.

While I've tried to moderate with a light touch, it doesn't seem to be working. If I wouldn't want my young daughters to see the language, or if it gives the appearance of a personal attack, I'm going to be taking action.

Also we've had a tremendous upswing in inappropriate political commentary around firearms. Firearms threads are welcome if they are entirely apolitical. Do not even mention the politics around firearms in any thread on Around The Campfire. Henceforward anything that so much as smells like political commentary about guns will result in threads being locked, posts being edited or deleted, and harsher actions if warranted.

If any part of this is unclear, let me know.

chaosmagnet

#256176 - 02/03/13 09:53 PM Re: Course Correction: Courtesy and Politics [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Thanks Chaos, you came after me once and it too was appropriate.

I would like to thank Doug for the link in the now closed thread on the shotgun photo. The article makes a very good case. I saw some of the port issues in the photo myself, but not all that he pointed out. He makes a very strong argument for the image being photoshop'd.

#256181 - 02/04/13 04:05 AM Re: Course Correction: Courtesy and Politics [Re: chaosmagnet]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
A tip o' the hat to our moderators. Surely the most thankless of jobs, but at times utterly essential for our little community. There are plenty of other fungus pits for political punch-ups; let's stick to the high road.

#256182 - 02/04/13 08:30 AM Re: Course Correction: Courtesy and Politics [Re: dougwalkabout]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
A tip o' the hat to our moderators. Surely the most thankless of jobs, but at times utterly essential for our little community. There are plenty of other fungus pits for political punch-ups; let's stick to the high road.

Agreed Thanks Tons to the moderators for the work they do.
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#256186 - 02/04/13 03:12 PM Re: Course Correction: Courtesy and Politics [Re: chaosmagnet]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I must have missed the inappropriate stuff. Or maybe I have a hard time getting offended.

Bob

#256188 - 02/04/13 04:49 PM Re: Course Correction: Courtesy and Politics [Re: ILBob]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: ILBob
I must have missed the inappropriate stuff. Or maybe I have a hard time getting offended.

It's not about "getting offended." It's about policy. Political discussions often move rapidly away from emergency preparation and survival, and thus are a distraction to this forum. Secondly, even a political joke can be misrepresented. At one point you made a joke about REDACTED. We all recognized that as a joke, but that's just the sort of stuff that the press can use to distort and paint an ugly picture of this forum: "these are crazy survivalists who want to take down the government through terrorist acts!"

Edited by chaosmagnet (02/04/13 06:15 PM)
Edit Reason: Inappropriate content

#256195 - 02/04/13 06:34 PM Re: Course Correction: Courtesy and Politics [Re: chaosmagnet]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Thanks chaosmagnet. I, and I hope all the others, appreciate the reminder. Keep up the good work.

I frequently refer people to this site for the very reason that it is cordial and respectful; not to mention packed full of gobs of free info! I would not want anyone to be offended with me because I recommended this site to them.

Let's keep the good thing good.

#256196 - 02/04/13 06:34 PM Re: Course Correction: Courtesy and Politics [Re: dougwalkabout]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout

+1 and then some.

#256197 - 02/04/13 06:59 PM Re: Course Correction: Courtesy and Politics [Re: MoBOB]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I totally agree with the above comments. One of the great things about this forum is the civil, informative discourse, generally free from invective and personal attacks. The mods deserve a lot of credit for this..

#256200 - 02/04/13 07:49 PM Re: Course Correction: Courtesy and Politics [Re: hikermor]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I totally agree with the above comments. One of the great things about this forum is the civil, informative discourse, generally free from invective and personal attacks. The mods deserve a lot of credit for this..

I've said this a million times ...

And I guess I better not be using those anatomy terms either ...
(though I didn't get a warning, I feel like I probably should have!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 350 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.