Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#256004 - 01/30/13 05:52 AM Switching to Double Edge Saftey Razors
Frisket Offline
Addict

Just switched over to Double edge safety razors and I Have to say Im Digging them. I Used it only 4 times now and Destroyed my face with razor burn but Im also using regular shaving foam. Hopefull the switch to brush and cream will work out better for me with more practice as well.

What Got me to switch over is the price point the reduction in waste it produces, the more natural creams and soaps and the overall better more enjoyable experience it is compared to cartridge razors.

For Mid range quality products it'll cost ya around 80$ to start up. A Good handle will cost around 30-40$, Soap/cream 10-15$, Blades 10-15$ for 100 "Mid Range" razors, Brush around 10-20$ and Mug which can be from a 1$ Bowl/Mug or 20ish For a purpose built one. All Of which Can be purchased On Amazon.com.

For me the soap and blades will cost me only 24$ a year too a year and a half or so.

#256005 - 01/30/13 12:10 PM Re: Switching to Double Edge Saftey Razors [Re: Frisket]
Armitage12 Offline
Stranger

Once you get used to it you'll see yourself buying soaps and aftershaves, in vanity, but you'll be stunned how much you can save on blades. I'm about to order 200 blades in bulk through the big Internet retailer with the letter A, and that will last me most of my adult life. And I'll pay under $20. My jaw dropped when I first realized that.

#256015 - 01/30/13 04:25 PM Re: Switching to Double Edge Saftey Razors [Re: Frisket]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Its funny, I was never aware of the high cost of disposable razors until recently (apparently they are one of the items grocery stores up here keep under lock & key due to the high rate of theft).

I've always used an electric razor, like my Dad before me, and now understand the investment in my simple electric razor has saved me lots of money.

#256017 - 01/30/13 04:35 PM Re: Switching to Double Edge Saftey Razors [Re: Frisket]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I save on blades by only shaving once or twice a week wink I'm currently using one of the major brand 3 edge blade cartridge system using a tilting head that tracks your face. The tilting head took some getting used to, but I have yet to cut my face with these things.

#256020 - 01/30/13 06:02 PM Re: Switching to Double Edge Saftey Razors [Re: Frisket]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I use the cheap single edge disposable ones when I shave. I do not shave at all from about Thanksgiving until Easter.

Bob

#256023 - 01/30/13 06:22 PM Re: Switching to Double Edge Saftey Razors [Re: Frisket]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
Totally worth it! For Christmas this year my Wife gave me this shave mug and brush set
Then, before I dropped $40.00 on a safety razor I bought this safety razor.
I must say that not only is it significantly cheaper, it's a much closer shave!
I like it so much I'm going to be dropping a ton of hints for a new razor from now til fathers day!

It's also a really nice masculine way to connect with the past. You see I'm outnumbered by the 4 women in my household! crazy

Edited by Matt26 (01/30/13 06:25 PM)

#256024 - 01/30/13 06:35 PM Re: Switching to Double Edge Saftey Razors [Re: Frisket]
Finn Offline

Loc: Colonial Heights, VA
My two safety razors were gifts. I also have five straight razors that need refurbishing. You can get by just fine with a man-made bristle brush instead of the badger. I don't yet have the hang of safety razors.

For more than a year now I have been using cheap disposables and body wash soap daily. No burn and the cheap razors last about 45 days each. I do NOT bang it against the sink to dislodge the scunge.

#256026 - 01/30/13 06:40 PM Re: Switching to Double Edge Saftey Razors [Re: Frisket]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I bought some Wahl hair clippers about 15 years ago. I use it to reduce the length of both my beard and hair. Overall, it has cost me about $2 a year, plus electricity for hair cuts. I used it in the military for about ten years. I did shave using a branded quad-blade razor. But, I could make that blade last at least month. Anyway, now that I am retired I just go shaggy until I can't stand. Then I whip out the clippers and mow away. Then again, I just view it hair. I also have the advantage of not having to portray a corporate look. Anyway, enough rambling. I applaud all who are finding ways to economize. It frees up money for prepping stuff.

#256028 - 01/30/13 08:02 PM Re: Switching to Double Edge Saftey Razors [Re: Frisket]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Philips 3-head electric razor for me. I replace the cutting heads every couple of years, so my cost is $15-20 per year. Of course the goatee helps a lot.

The last time I had to shave with a Bic razor, in the field, I slathered on a combination of vaseline and hand lotion. Gross but effective.

#256029 - 01/30/13 08:47 PM Re: Switching to Double Edge Saftey Razors [Re: Frisket]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I buy a beard trimmer every seven or eight years laugh.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 512 Guests and 47 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.