Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#255940 - 01/28/13 04:28 PM Re: It doesn't have to boil [Re: AKSAR]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: AKSAR
Tea??? I think you mean coffee. Coffee is a survival essential, at least for some of us. Without coffee we would be faced with TEOTWAKI smile

Up to recently, I would have said a hearty amen. However, about 2 weeks ago now I decided to completely cut out caffeine out of my diet and switched over to naturally caffeine free herbal teas. I gotta say, I feel more alert & awake throughout the day than I did before (on a typical work day I'd have at least 4 or 5 cups of coffee).

Whether or not I make this a permanent change, it sure has reshaped my understanding of my "need" for coffee.

#255949 - 01/28/13 08:11 PM Re: It doesn't have to boil [Re: Chisel]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
Poor Denis, poor, poor misunderstood Denis.
When I was in school in Houston in the mid-eighties
I was given the nickname "Bucket" cause my classmates swore that's how much coffee I drank every day. Now I'm down to only a quart.

#255957 - 01/29/13 01:07 AM Re: It doesn't have to boil [Re: Chisel]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Co-worker once had this huge coffee cup. So one day I took a garage door handle and bolted it to a 5 gallon bucket and sat it on his desk.

#255964 - 01/29/13 01:58 AM Re: It doesn't have to boil [Re: Chisel]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Chisel
.....It made my pot blackish.....

Place a small piece of tin foil around the bottom of your cup or pot. Keeps the sticky mess on the foil and you can just toss it at the end of the day. Saves a heck of a lot of scrubbing.

#255968 - 01/29/13 03:08 AM Re: It doesn't have to boil [Re: Chisel]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
I have been experimenting with my esbit stove ( maybe not geniouine esbit, but anyways). I made some Cup-A-Soup. and some coffee. I tested one tab of fuel, 2 tabs, and then 3 tabs all together.

I noticed that 3 tabs was overkill . The flame was like ( too much fuel and little oxygen). It made my pot blackish. Two brought the pot to a rolling boil, and one tab didn't. However, I wondered : why do we need water to boil. In any case we will have to wauit for it to cool a bit before drinking it. So, I am planning to use one tab only even if water won't boil completely. It only needs to boil if you are sterilizing water or cooking something. IN other cases, you need temp to go up and hover below boiling for a few minutes.

I understand you don't really need to to boil for several minutes. Once you get the water to boiling temp you actually have killed off most of the organisms. A rolling boil for several minutes is overkill but still promoted by a lot of people to be "extra" safe.

#255985 - 01/29/13 04:22 PM Re: It doesn't have to boil [Re: JPickett]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: JPickett
Poor Denis, poor, poor misunderstood Denis.

I hear you ... its not something I would have contemplated up until recently. Like you, my love & consumption of coffee is a small part of my identity, its something people know me for. Heck, this is the pen that rides in my work notebook:

It's just that I've started slowly working towards healthier eating (not portion control, but trying to base what I eat more on natural, nutritious foods) and as a part of this I kept running into the recommendation to kick the caffeine. I figured since overall health & vitality, not sentimentality, was my goal that I'd give it a shot. So far it's been a positive experience.

#256189 - 02/04/13 05:02 PM Re: It doesn't have to boil [Re: Chisel]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
I have a friend at work who was told by doctors to reduce his intake of tea and coffee. He joins us sometimes and takes hot water only. I tried it once or twice and it was OK.
I gave up coffee a few months ago too. I was following the 5:2 reduced calorie diet, which having only 600kcal on two non-consecutive days a week. I like coffee with milk and sugar, which was too many calories, so I was going without two days a week. I found that gave me headaches from caffeine withdrawal. Knowing I was affected to that extent bothered me enough to drop coffee altogether.

As it happens, I didn't miss it; I guess I don't have an addictive personality. However, I still haven't found anything great to replace it with. I mention it here because I sometimes make low-cal fruit squash with boiling water. I find this has more flavour than herbal teas.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 272 Guests and 63 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.