Advice taken to heart update:

I ditched the disposable ponchos, the mylar blanket, the plastic drop cloth and the poly cord. Oh, and I ate the spicy Thai tuna snack pack. Just the fish and crackers, not the box, btw. wink

I added duct tape, a rubberized GI poncho (German-issue), about 30 ft of paracord and a Thermarest (Thermal) Z-seat. I also put the canteen stove back on my canteen cup/bottle kit, so I can cook and boil at the same time.

The poncho is a significant weight addition, but well worth it, I think. Especially in the colder, wetter months. It's rubberized so should give better rain protection the the nylon one I have in my GHB.

I've packed some bannock mix for a little outting tomorrow. Along with our selection of hot drinks, it should be a nice break. Can't wait to finally try out my new kettle and tiny esbit stove!

I've also updated the fire kit. It's now got: jute twine, a cotton lamp wick, a med bottle of pine shavings/pine pitch/birch bark/cotton balls, small vial of strike anywhere matches, a mini bic, a ferro rod with mag bar attached, a small tube of lip balm and a small folding pocket knife. It's all housed in the tea tin with tight fitting lid. I've got a few veggie rubber bands on there now, but will upgrade those to ranger bands soon.

I haven't weighed it but I've got a cat that weighs more than it does. laugh

Edited by bacpacjac (01/04/13 01:32 AM)
Edit Reason: updated fire kit contents to account for cotton balls and lipb

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA