Originally Posted By: KenK
What kind of fixed blade do you have there??

What about signaling? Signal mirror. Include a whistle at the very least.

I'd lean toward a headlamp rather than a hand held light, but that's just me lately. I'm a BIG fan of Princeton Tec EOS headlamps - I have them all over my house.

Personally Il don't care for cheap plastic ponchos. They are typically so flimsy. I'd rather stow large (30-50 gallon) bright (orange) plastic bags that can act as a ground cover and a rain/dew protector. Buy a box of them and share them with others. They make great gifts!! :-P

The backpack filled with leaves can act as a insulating seat.

I'd also include a map of the area, a compass, a GPS, extra batteries for the GPS, and a PLB.

I might recommend cutting cord into 16-20 foot lengths and bundling them. I cut a 100 foot hank of cord into six 16 foot lengths. That makes it easier to manage (less tangling) and MUCH more likely to be used on a regular basis - for all sorts of things. Maybe keep one 50 foot or longer length of poly line (stretches less than nylon).

Thanks for the great ideas, Ken!

I have a whistle on my lanyard and another on my keychain.

A headlamp is a no-brainer too. I just don't have an extra one on-hand right now.

The poncho is mostly for protection from the wet ground, an unexpected downpour or one of those classic moves that only a nine year old boy can produce. wink

We aren't going to be going very far from home or my jeep in the foreseeable future, so I'm skipping navigation for now, but will address that as we increase our mileage again in the coming months.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA