Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#255009 - 12/30/12 08:24 PM Re: New Day Trip Pack [Re: GradyT34]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: GradyT34
Suggest including water purification tablets and a zippo hand warmer with a 4 oz. can of zippo's cleaner burning (than most) lighter fluid.

Hand warmers are a great idea, Grady, thanks! I'm skipping water procurement for now but will definitely add tabs or a filter when we start doing more miles again.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#255010 - 12/30/12 08:30 PM Re: New Day Trip Pack [Re: KenK]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: KenK
What kind of fixed blade do you have there??

What about signaling? Signal mirror. Include a whistle at the very least.

I'd lean toward a headlamp rather than a hand held light, but that's just me lately. I'm a BIG fan of Princeton Tec EOS headlamps - I have them all over my house.

Personally Il don't care for cheap plastic ponchos. They are typically so flimsy. I'd rather stow large (30-50 gallon) bright (orange) plastic bags that can act as a ground cover and a rain/dew protector. Buy a box of them and share them with others. They make great gifts!! :-P

The backpack filled with leaves can act as a insulating seat.

I'd also include a map of the area, a compass, a GPS, extra batteries for the GPS, and a PLB.

I might recommend cutting cord into 16-20 foot lengths and bundling them. I cut a 100 foot hank of cord into six 16 foot lengths. That makes it easier to manage (less tangling) and MUCH more likely to be used on a regular basis - for all sorts of things. Maybe keep one 50 foot or longer length of poly line (stretches less than nylon).

Thanks for the great ideas, Ken!

I have a whistle on my lanyard and another on my keychain.

A headlamp is a no-brainer too. I just don't have an extra one on-hand right now.

The poncho is mostly for protection from the wet ground, an unexpected downpour or one of those classic moves that only a nine year old boy can produce. wink

We aren't going to be going very far from home or my jeep in the foreseeable future, so I'm skipping navigation for now, but will address that as we increase our mileage again in the coming months.

#255011 - 12/30/12 08:33 PM Re: New Day Trip Pack [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The fixed blade is an inexpensive one that my son bought for me whioe we were on our mom-son mother's day camping trip this year. It's stamped "Valor 449 Stainless". It's full tang, good weight for me and nicely balanced. Not bad for under $30, even if it is a little too small for some of the kitchen prep work I've asked it to do. It's held up very well to batoning wood though.

#255012 - 12/30/12 08:37 PM Re: New Day Trip Pack [Re: gulliamo]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: gulliamo
A couple of thoughts if you really want to go lighter (I have plenty more if you're looking to go the ultra light route but I doubt this is the forum for that).

Knife: Both the Izula and Bravo Necker weigh less than 1.5oz and they will chop down a tree.

Light: The Four Sevens Mini is 200+ lumens and weighs 0.6oz. It also has several nice distress modes (beacon) that last for weeks.

Saw: I doubt your saw weighs much but this saw is so small you can carry it in your front pockets. I've cut through 12" trees with mine.

A CanteenShop GrillTop Stove will allow you to boil water in your canteen cup - thus ditching the kettle and stove. I really like your kettle by the way. I have one and use it regularly just not when trying to stay light.

Take the rope off the spool. You'll shave another ounce (hey, it adds up! Especially when you're carrying enough of a load up front!)

I've never had good luck with that brand of emergency blanket. I've had much better success with AMK.

Ultra Sil tarps and ponchos are awesome but pricy...

Does this help?

Thanks so much, Gulliamo! These are great suggestions. I'll definitely take them to heart as I upgrade this kit.

FWIW - this pack came into being because I recieved the laplander, kettle and mini esbit stove for Christmas. Everything else was pulled out of storage. I didn't want to spend money on a new kit but had the itch to build a new one, more in line with my current physical condition and limitations.

#255013 - 12/30/12 09:12 PM Re: New Day Trip Pack [Re: bacpacjac]
gulliamo Offline

Loc: Denver, CO, USA
I love the kettle! It is one of our most used items while car camping.

I'd like to hear about your experience with the stove. For example: is it usable without a windscreen?

#255015 - 12/30/12 10:28 PM Re: New Day Trip Pack [Re: bacpacjac]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
Jackie, a nite-eyes headband,http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___80393
might let you use your flashlight as a headlamp whne needed or a flashlight. Seems like I find them at Wal-mart, Lowes, Home-depot. Maybe your Canadian Tire?

#255017 - 12/30/12 10:36 PM Re: New Day Trip Pack [Re: JPickett]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: JPickett
Jackie, a nite-eyes headband,http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___80393
might let you use your flashlight as a headlamp whne needed or a flashlight. Seems like I find them at Wal-mart, Lowes, Home-depot. Maybe your Canadian Tire?

Thanks for the tip, JPickett. I'll definitely have a look for them!

#255022 - 12/31/12 12:38 AM Re: New Day Trip Pack [Re: bacpacjac]
gulliamo Offline

Loc: Denver, CO, USA
Or you can make your own headlamp holder...
http://www.benvelo.com/flashlightholder_mini_1.htm

#255045 - 01/01/13 12:01 AM Re: New Day Trip Pack [Re: bacpacjac]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Originally Posted By: Bingley
Seems like a pretty awesome kit. So that's what you're taking to the delivery room, I guess? smile

Stay safe and healthy!

haha! We've got our hospital bags and baby packed and ready to go, Bingley. I'm just biding my time until this baby decides she's ready to make her big entrance.

That reminds me, I need to pack more snacks for hubby.

Good luck. I just got word today, that my coworker had her baby on the weekend - a full month early! But the pictures show a normal healthy full size baby, definitely not preemie. Maybe the doctor goofed on the date? smile

#255077 - 01/01/13 06:40 PM Re: New Day Trip Pack [Re: Roarmeister]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
I suspect that baby is going to pop out holding a Fenix EO1. laugh

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 282 Guests and 57 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by dougwalkabout
03:17 AM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.