Originally Posted By: Nomad
I doubt that there is a collapsible walking stick that would survive a full force blow at half its length. At least I have not found one. And I have been looking for years. To be at all effective it has to have some weight as well as strength.
I have not found a hollow rod of a size and weight that would meet walking stick criteria that would take such a punishment.
That said, there are several things you can do with a typical walking stick that would help if you were in a bad situation.

My favorite is if someone grabs you by the lapels, swing the stick over their arms, hold both ends and push it up their arms into the throat. With practice you can do that very fast. Probably break the stick, but ...
A two handed thrust with the point into some soft tissue is also effective.
However I would not recommend relying on such tactics. But if you have the stick in your hands, at least it has some use.

Let me know if you find one that is strong enough.
Nomad... been beating things with sticks for a long time.

Good tips - but my line of thinking is in regards to animals on the trail not other humans. Seriously, when would somebody be using a collapsible walking stick? On the trail. What do you meet on the trail that is dangerous? I am thinking of things like bears, cougars, wolves, coyotes, elk, and yes even deer. Can I hit him with the stick? Perhaps but given the light weight, it would be like swatting them with a fly swatter. Rather, I see the walking stick as a poking and jabbing tool and as an aide to keep a bit of distance between me and the beast. Effective? Well, ask me after I have an encounter! smile

I use sticks as an extention of my body and do a little poking and prodding with them before I put my hands into dangerous locations. I find it also works well in breaking cobwebs. It came in handy when I came across a rattle snake one day, it's use as a guard against its strike was perfect and allowed me to move it off the trail without harm to myself or the snake.

That said, I store my walking stick in the vehicle behind the back seat and any tool can be helpful when warding off a human attack, even a set of keys gouged in their face...