Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#25464 - 03/08/04 05:13 AM Re: Help making homemade "lifeboat" matches...
Anonymous
Unregistered

We tinker in similar areas. The idea of cutting down a flare to a "fire starting size" is something I have worked on. The biggest issue for me was closing up the cut end in such a way that it was a good seal. Best I have found so far is a pvc end cap/plug. Just about the right size to fit into the flare casing, held in place with some good yellow glue. The ones I have used also have a multi sided end that would prevent rollling if placed on a flat surface. I also added a bit of para cord for holding in the event the burn was longer than expected. A small hole drilled in the end cap to pass the paracord through with a knot on the inside and then sealed with glue worked quite well.
The idea of mixing some smokeless poweder with the flare material and creating a paste sounds pretty good as well.
None of this seems to be an "explosive" combination from what I have read.

#25465 - 03/08/04 02:15 PM Re: Help making homemade "lifeboat" matches...
NAro Offline
Addict

Bald Guy: this is a bit off topic. Have you ever considered using pieces of heat sealed soda straws to hold your flare innards? I use this to hold cotton-petroleum jelly tinder. Perhaps the flare material would ignite better. If so, I may try putting a pair of strike anywhere matches (probably just the head + 1") in the top of the straw before sealing.

How readily does the flare material light a) with a match and b) with a spark?

#25466 - 03/09/04 03:48 AM Re: Help making homemade "lifeboat" matches...
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
You know sir, you never fail to amaze me with the level of your knowledge, and your ability to pass that knowledge along in terms that a simple guy like myself can understand. I am pretty tied up for the next few days, but first chance I get I am going to get some acetone and some fine powder (maybe pull the bullets on a couple of .22's) and see what happens. Thanks. Results forthcoming...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 368 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.