Originally Posted By: Lono

It all depends. CPR for example - CPR on a coronary 15 miles up the trails is a losing cause; CPR on a hiker struck by lightning however will save his life more often than not. So don't throw that arrow out of your quiver.

I carry about a pound and a half of dedicated first aid supplies, based on what I need in the event a Scout goes down - I can't in good conscience treat them with an AMK 0.9 and band aids. Its the first aid supplies that I also carry that are improvised from my hiking gear that can make the difference long term - the neck collar traced on my blue pad, ready to cut out and wrap around his neck to help immobilize his spine; the rest of the blue rest pad to use to pad his arm or leg fracture; clothing to cushion splints; my hiking poles for splint materials; warmth, warmth, warmth, to stave off the effects of shock. That sort of thing. Add it all up, you can and should carry a lot more than whatever fits in your little bag with the first aid cross on it.

It depends on what you know, or what you're ready to treat.

Sorry, I had to get rid of the wall o' text.

In theory, I agree - lightening and cold water drownings sometimes do come back. But overall, nearly pointless. Like I said, even if you get them around, it's going to be a PITA to get them out of the back country.

If I was responsible for a bunch of scouts, I might take more. Or more likely, break the kit into modules that I spread around and make part of the troop-level equipment.

Like others say, a class, and make your own. Then carry it around for a bunch of hikes and see what you see.