Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#252783 - 11/03/12 07:42 PM Best Mens Outdoors Pants
Pete Offline
Veteran

I need to spring for some new outdoors pants. I like cargo pants, although I don't need a huge number of pockets. I was seriously looking at the Buckhorn pants from North Face. But the latest reviews say that the quality has gone down when they revised the design.

Does anybody have any suggestions on some really durable pants that have a few pockets? I'm willing to pay good money - if it's a good product.

cheers,
Pete2

#252792 - 11/03/12 09:31 PM Re: Best Mens Outdoors Pants [Re: Pete]
widget Offline
Addict

The 5.11 Tactical Tac Lite Pro pants hold up well and have some cargo pockets. If you want less expensive there is always the BDU clones, I get mine from LA Police Gear for under $20. They have good pricing on the 5.11 pants as well.

I prefer the under $20 BDU pants because the pockets are larger and they are expendable at that price. Quick drying Poly/cotton ripstop fabric too.

#252826 - 11/04/12 03:59 AM Re: Best Mens Outdoors Pants [Re: Pete]
Hanscom Offline
Journeyman

I have been very pleased with the pants I bought from Checkpoint Charlie Survival Supply (current supplier, originally Drop Zone Tactical). Better BDU and 3G OPS Pants.

Two varieties with somewhat different design features and different weight fabrics (12 oz and 6 oz, if memory serves). Double knee and double butt, pocket fabric same as pant fabric. Plenty of pockets, even more in the 3G OPS Pants.

They are, however, breathtakingly expensive. Quite a bit more now than when I bought them a few years ago. When looking at the prices remember that they are in Canadian dollars.

http://www.checkpointcharliesurvivalsupply.com/cart.php?target=category&category_id=249

#252827 - 11/04/12 04:38 AM Re: Best Mens Outdoors Pants [Re: ]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
LAPG does make their own versions of 5.11 and other's pants. I hear good things about their "Operator Pants." I'm not sure about the quality, but a lot of guys order them so they must not be too bad.

I have these and like them. They've stood up to quite a bit of abuse.

#252830 - 11/04/12 09:07 AM Re: Best Mens Outdoors Pants [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
As a result of posts on this forum I purchased a pair of 5.11 Tac Lite pros, tried them and promptly bought another. They are very well designed, well made, and useful. They actually have lots and lots of pockets, but they are not all that obvious.

You might take a look at some of the pants by Patagonia - their outdoor line, not necessarily their sport clothing. I have found their stuff to be extremely durable, standing up well to hard use. I have lots of items that are fifteen-twenty years old, and one cherished jacket I bought more than thirty years ago and have used hard ever since. Their pants usually do not feature "lots of pockets."

#252850 - 11/04/12 05:08 PM Re: Best Mens Outdoors Pants [Re: Pete]
Pete Offline
Veteran

thanks for the recommedations on pants. I went to the LA Police Gear site and bought some of the Tactical pants. Excellent - just what I was looking for.

cheers,
Pete2

Edited by Pete (11/04/12 05:09 PM)

#252871 - 11/04/12 10:56 PM Re: Best Mens Outdoors Pants [Re: Pete]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

I know you've already made your decision but just wanted to say I've been using these for a while (the Khaki version not the green) and love them. They look a lot less tactical and more "normal" in khaki.

http://milspecmonkey.com/weargear/clothing/174-tru-spec-247-tactical-pants

They've lasted a LOT longer than my regular pants and I've put them through more (only attesting to normal wear and tear through regular use)

Plus they have all kinds of useful pockets -- knife pockets on the right and left (I carry a flashlight in one, a knife or multitool in the other, I don't like things on my belt), they have an expanding elastic waistband in case you carry IWB it'll give you the next size up, there are sub pockets on the cargo pockets that are great for wallets (so I don't have to do yoga to reach my wallet in the car) and inside the cargo pockets are two more sub pockets (sized for AR-15 magazines) and an interior pocket behind the knees if you want to put kneepad inserts in there (I haven't).

Comes from the factory with a scotch guard like coating to prevent liquids from soaking in which works well but only lasts a couple months of use.

Edited by Burncycle (11/04/12 10:57 PM)

#252887 - 11/05/12 04:13 PM Re: Best Mens Outdoors Pants [Re: Burncycle]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
For the BDU suggestion.

I bought a pair of Rothco brand BDU pants in blue.

I did a review of them on my blog. I did not get a perfect pair.

http://ilbob.blogspot.com/2012/01/rothco-bdu-trousers.html

But, they have held up well after I sewed all the buttons back on and work OK. But, I have never really been happy with them. Never have quite gotten used to the button fly.

Bob

#252889 - 11/05/12 04:36 PM Re: Best Mens Outdoors Pants [Re: Pete]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I really like Rail Riders Ultra-Light pants (wearing them right now) and UA’s Tactical pants. The UAs can sometimes be found on Ebay.

Pete

#252896 - 11/05/12 06:01 PM Re: Best Mens Outdoors Pants [Re: Pete]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
I'm a bit late to this thread, but earlier this year I bought a pair of Exofficio Roughian Cargo pants and really like them so far. They seem to be a great all around outdoor pant; they seem durable, comfortable, handle water well and I really like the combination of pockets they have. Here are the features as listed online:
  • Treated with Durable Water Repellant (DWR) for water and stain resistance
  • Durable canvas has high tear strength
  • UPF Sun Guard 50+
  • Riveted jean tack button closure
  • 10 pockets total
  • Hidden security zip pockets in left hip and right back pockets
  • 2 zippered pockets and 2 cargo pockets on each leg
  • Drop-in gadget pocket on right leg
  • Integrated tether point in right hip pocket
  • Inseam gusset for mobility
  • Reinforced double-needle contrast stitching
  • Reinforced hem

All in all, I find them to be a well thought out and well executed product.

Looking at their product line on their website I see they have a version with a shorter inseam too. That would address my only issue with the pants; they are a bit long (an unfortunately common problem for me smile ).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 120 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
bacpacjac
by Herman30
07/04/24 11:36 AM
Anoher rescue, this time of a well-prepared hiker
by Herman30
07/04/24 11:32 AM
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by roberttheiii
07/02/24 02:51 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
07/02/24 01:45 AM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.