Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#252738 - 11/03/12 12:48 AM Re: snow shoe greenhorn [Re: greenghost]
Ironwood Offline
Journeyman

I have old wood versions, Mil Spec. large magnesium ones and small modern ones. You CANNOT beat the price on the Mil Spec ones grab them up. They are wide but if you are heavy they are what you need. They take some skill as you have to step far enough in each stride to by pass the edge of the other shoe. In deep snow they are really what you need. Find the best binding you can (usually not included), some are better than others. The old wooden ones are great but require maintainence and the hide stretches once wet (balls up with snow too if conditions are "just wrong"). The "sporty looking ones" with the integrated crampon are for light work on fairly technical (steep) inclines. If you are small/light they will work in some deeper conditions, but be prepared to sink. My one 6'11" 350 lb buddy just bought a pair, I am sure I will end up with them as they are only marginally larger that his size 14 boot. As stated CC Skis are much more fun, and depending on your topography and snow you will find many golf courses allow skiing, and can be enjoyed with very little snow. We have a series of ridges here to the east that squeeze out moisture and we may be 10-20 warmer, so they get ALOT more snow. They got 20" up there from Sandy, we had 40 degrees and 4" of rain. This gives us an option if we want to drive 1/2 hour to get to deep snow and extended snow pack in spring. Try Craigslist for these items. You want "waxless" skiis unless you want to learn ALOT about snow/temp/and camber/waxing.

As far as poles, get a set of GOOD adjustable ones, us them for all seasons, hiking, skiing,shoeing. Also GREAT for emergency splinting, and ALL around camp. I use mine for tarp poles on my "travel light" all season tarp (Eureka Timberline 2 tent fly) VERY good tool, dont forget to put some duct tape on the poles for "repairs"to everything (and first aid)

Ironwood

Edited by Ironwood (11/03/12 12:55 AM)

#252749 - 11/03/12 02:49 AM Re: snow shoe greenhorn [Re: greenghost]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i have the old style wood ones with yellow nylon cord for webbing,the real thing from a "gas station/everything store in Canada.i found i can get around just fine with them in everything but new,deep, light,powder snow. i sink my 200 lbs up to my knees.
i use one ski pole for balance in wooded areas when i'm crossing over logs or going down hills.on open frozen lake i can just about run in them.i use a flat rubber gizmo with a boot hole in it rather than the traditional leather straps and it works better than anything i have tried.
my wife is lighter and smaller and had both the wood and the new aluminum ones with the metal "claw" under the foot for traction.she like those and uses the same rubber binding.
my are the oval "bear paws" and are easy to walk in as they are short compared to the longer style with the tail in the back.
the long ones were made for open country and the bear paws for working around in the woods.i have gone out on winter hikes with a back pack and made a hot lunch over a camp stove and all that.a tip is to take along a sleeping mat like you use in a tent for a warmer place to sit.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 274 Guests and 51 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.