Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#252137 - 10/23/12 07:43 PM Re: How to organise home IT for emergencies [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
One of the cheapest and quickest ways to send large data files is to get a number of 32Gbyte MicroSD cards and duct tape them to a postcard and then to post it.. laugh

Hmmm ..., "1 to 2 terabytes", let's call it 1.5 terabyes and do some math. You'd need about 50 of those 32Gb memory cards. The cheap and slow ones run about $20 each here in the US. So we're already at $1000 for the memory cards.

I guess it would work if you were OK with doing it sequentially in small chunks, one memory card at a time. Assuming a 4 day turnaround to mail the card and then have it mailed back, we're talking about 200 days to complete the task. eek

I think I would just buy one big hard drive myself, load it up with the complete 1-2 terabyte backup, and then ship it. You can buy a 1.5 terabyte oem drive for much less than $100 these days. Then maybe $7 to mail it and another $2 to buy good quality packing materials to assure it gets to its destination in tip-top shape. Add another $1 for insurance so the post office would replace the hard drive if they lost or broke it.

#252146 - 10/23/12 08:14 PM Re: How to organise home IT for emergencies [Re: haertig]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

Hmmm ..., "1 to 2 terabytes", let's call it 1.5 terabyes and do some math. You'd need about 50 of those 32Gb memory cards. The cheap and slow ones run about $20 each here in the US. So we're already at $1000 for the memory cards.

I guess it would work if you were OK with doing it sequentially in small chunks, one memory card at a time. Assuming a 4 day turnaround to mail the card and then have it mailed back, we're talking about 200 days to complete the task.

I think I would just buy one big hard drive myself, load it up with the complete 1-2 terabyte backup, and then ship it. You can buy a 1.5 terabyte oem drive for much less than $100 these days. Then maybe $7 to mail it and another $2 to buy good quality packing materials to assure it gets to its destination in tip-top shape. Add another $1 for insurance so the post office would replace the hard drive if they lost or broke it.

That is certainly is the quickest way to send 1.5 Tb of data. grin

A pair of these would make the job easier.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NIKINGSTORE-SATA...2552&sr=8-5

The microSD Duct tape comment was really to compare something that sounded pretty silly compared to transferring 1-2TB of data using a pair of commercial ISP Internet connections/VPN tunnel etc despite the advantages of secure Network to Network communications

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (10/23/12 08:15 PM)

#252160 - 10/23/12 10:02 PM Re: How to organise home IT for emergencies [Re: JohnN]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: JohnN
It would probably be useful to note what specific service you are using and why you choose that specific one.

I've been using Carbonite for a number of years. It works very well, it's low-impact on my PC, support is very good. I've used it in a full-on recovery-from-disaster scenario and it was flawless. Security is as good as your password. No affiliation.

Mozy costs the same, haven't tried it but people say good things about it.

#252163 - 10/23/12 10:07 PM Re: How to organise home IT for emergencies [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Quote:
However, is it possible to back up 1-2 TB of data remotely and inexpensively so that the remote storage got updated automatically without my involvement?

Nope!

Remote backup over multiple/single ISPs networks would be very expensive and might not even happed as the ISP will throttle your connection speed to make it impossible when uploading/downloading continuously.

If most of the data is static, this actually works fine. The data gets backed up for the first time over a period of hours to over a week, depending upon your upload speed, and then changes are synced regularly. I'm backing up just over a TB this way. Before I got the extremely-fast Internet connection I have now, I did this over ADSL and it just took a bit longer to get started.

#252165 - 10/23/12 10:21 PM Re: How to organise home IT for emergencies [Re: Omega]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I have ran into the same issue. Backups can be done, its the restoration that is the problem. If you are forced out of your home and stuck with a limited internet connection then you may never get a timely restore.

#252167 - 10/23/12 10:36 PM Re: How to organise home IT for emergencies [Re: Omega]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
2 Tb?! All of my important docs fit on a 2 Gb flashcard.

Photographs? A friend of mine has never deleted a single image from his camera's SD cards. When it's full he's just buying a new one and storing the old one in the portable safe. So 50 of 32Gb cards is not that unrealistic in a long run for him.

Personally, I think that the photographic memorabilia's importance is overrated. I'm keeping about a gigabyte of really good family images, which I might want to print out some day, on another 8Gb flash card. The rest goes randomly to the free cloud storage (i.e. google drive, dropbox, spideroak), and to the social networks albums, blogs, wiki's, e.t.c.

#252176 - 10/24/12 01:21 AM Re: How to organise home IT for emergencies [Re: Omega]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You need kids smile I'm just over 100G in pictures and my oldest is 6.

#252177 - 10/24/12 02:27 AM Re: How to organise home IT for emergencies [Re: Eugene]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Eugene
You need kids smile I'm just over 100G in pictures and my oldest is 6.

Must be your first kid. Quantity goes down with subsequnt kids.

Just like a diary. For the first kid you document every burp, fart, and activity. The second kid? Well, his diary is more like, "Bob was born, and then went to college. The end."

#252185 - 10/24/12 09:58 AM Re: How to organise home IT for emergencies [Re: haertig]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
By the time #3 rolls around - "Say, did I hear a baby crying the other day? Nice job, honey"

#252538 - 10/31/12 02:41 PM Re: How to organise home IT for emergencies [Re: Omega]
gulliamo Offline

Loc: Denver, CO, USA
+1 on the cloud storage. Encrypt your sensitive documents and put them on USB key as well for instant access. Chances are you won't need your mp3 collection or pictures from 2004 on short notice during an emergency.

By the time you add up the cost of NAS, Drives, setup time, checking on it time, upgrading it time, etc. then the cloud is cheaper (assuming your time is worth something). Also having access anywhere, anytime from any device is worth a lot! When you're in the hospital after you've been mugged, have lost your wallet and 75-item keychain and are asked for your insurance info you can answer "Sure, can I use your computer or smartphone?"

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 792 Guests and 43 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
The price of gold
by brandtb
Today at 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.