Originally Posted By: Pete
why it is that there are a few bright flashlights in the price range of $10-$30, and then after that the prices seem to jump to $80-$200??

thanks,
Pete2

I find myself drooling over plenty flashlights in the $30-80 price range... wink
(Check out foursevens or fenix for some options in that price range)

But your observation of the price jump is probably correct. The $10-30 range is probably the mass produced "low cost" light. (You find both junk and good bargains in that category). To me it makes sense that reputable brands would have a significant price jump to distinguish themselves from the common "low cost" crowd. But there are exceptions, such as fenix or foursevens, typically starting around $30-35 and up.

Speaking of which - I find myself wanting to try this baby out:
http://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=2421
I can't really stand the cold bluish color of most LED lights, so I'm basically scooping for anything neutral or warm white colored. I really like the super simple 2-mode interface and the no nonsense construction. I've never tested this particular light, but I have good experience with fenix and I see this as a pretty good candidate for a general purpose light you could trust.

The only drawback of E21 would be the lack of a true "low light" mode: 54 lumens absurdely overkill for most close range applications. Somewhere in the 3-10 lumens range is plenty if you're not looking beyond 10 feet anyway, and you get absurdely long run times... (and yes, I know all about headlamps for close range work, but I really appreciate the versality of a multi-mode flashlight that hardly eats batteries at all on the lowest setting).