Originally Posted By: Chisel
Great report Martin, thanks.

bws48 :
Quote:
my "go" stuff is broken down and stored in the numerous small spaces in my Forester. It looks (from the outside) like there is nothing stored in it--part of my effort to not have packages showing that provide a temptation.

Great idea , and I have a suggestion.
Not to substitute what you are planning, but may be a good addition to proivide more options is to add an inexpensive draw-string foldable backpack (folded) in the car. It gives you (or family memeber) the option of grabbing some stuff from those scattered material to form an addition BOB on the spot, if you need it.

The philosophy of scattered stuff is great and I do that to my office bug-in kit. But you need more options if the stuff is in a car. Say, you drive and reach somewhere , where you have to go in a shelter or hotel, and need to have the bag and stuff with you.

Chisel has an excellent point. Keeping a empty pack in your car would make it very easy to throw everything together and hike out. It is important in any scenario where your car breaks down or gets stuck in mud, snow, etc...

I would recommend a pack with real straps. Others may have better luck with rope straps but for me whenever my rope strapped bag got loaded it would cut into my shoulders and make for a miserable experience. Mine was tossed a while ago.

I did a quick search of REI & EMS and they both have stowable packs that store into their own pocket. A friend has the REI Flash and she loves it.

I have a stowable bag I keep in the car. It takes up little room and gets used all the time.

Good luck!