The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#42875 - 07/10/05 07:04 AM Re: Missing prep item...work gloves
Anonymous
Unregistered

John:

What brand did you try? I have thinnking of trying some 'Hellstorm' gloves from Blackhawk group. They are definitely paramilitary -- kevlar & nomex. 'Til them, I'll just stick with my old reliable Blue Mules.

#42876 - 07/10/05 07:10 AM Re: Missing prep item...work gloves
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

Turtleskin brand (made by Warwick Mills), the model is "Search Glove" (TCC-002). I linked to the site in the above post.

As noted in the post, these are kind of special and not intended as just a "tough" glove. It is obvious that many of their compromises are needed to provide the puncture protection.

I'd be interested in your experience if you get the Hellstorm gloves.

Thanks,

-john

#42877 - 07/11/05 03:54 PM Re: Missing prep item...work gloves
X-ray Dave Offline
Addict

Loc: Nevada
I found some at the $1.00 Store. Put them in the Trama Bag ( glass and sharp metal) and in the tools for after the "Big One".
Dust masks and eye protection, too.

Dave

#42878 - 07/11/05 04:26 PM Re: Missing prep item...work gloves
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

Sorry Dave, I didn't follow. What kind of gloves did you find and what are your feelings about them?

Thanks,

-john

#42879 - 07/11/05 05:06 PM Re: Missing prep item...work gloves
X-ray Dave Offline
Addict

Loc: Nevada
Plain old leather work gloves. Cheap so that if they get nasty with blood or sewage or whatever I can throw them away. Also at $1.00 a pair, I bought several and have them everywhere.
Dave

#247041 - 06/13/12 11:30 PM Re: Missing prep item...work gloves [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

..and several band-aids anyway...

#248103 - 07/07/12 04:16 PM Re: Missing prep item...work gloves [Re: TeacherRO]
gitnready4it Offline
Stranger

I buy cheap work gloves at Harborfreight and they work just fine. I buy them in packages of five for just over a dollar a pair.

Survival Foods

#248109 - 07/07/12 05:14 PM Re: Missing prep item...work gloves [Re: TeacherRO]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I recently helped my sister and her family move out of her house. Many family members showed up to help. I love my family, but my goodness, must they be woefully prepared for everything? My work gloves that I brought were the only work gloves around. My sister's house had no gloves anywhere, and nobody brought any. To be fair, the main reason I remembered to bring gloves was because I workout daily with them, and so protecting my hands is naturally on my mind.

Luckily, my gloves were dirty and nasty looking, and people lost interest in my gloves after a few seconds. They are actually high-quality deer skin gloves. Man, did they come in handy that day. I sliced a glove with my knife (another thing nobody else had). It was a good thing it was the glove and not my hand.

Bottom line, if you carry gloves, I recommend high quality gloves that look dirty and nasty. cool

#248227 - 07/09/12 07:51 PM Re: Missing prep item...work gloves [Re: TeacherRO]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
I have found fantastic cycling gloves at REI once (Giro Xen), which are working very well for general hands protection, including moderately hot cooking pots handles, especially in the hot climate. They are reducing hands sweating a lot compared to any leather or knit working gloves as their back made mostly of mesh screen. The impact and slicing protection is in their "bumpy" surface, made of rubbery plastic ribs molded over the top and in critical places. The palm side is thin leather with small and frequent ventilation holes. They look somewhat futuristic but so comfortable, that I can wear them continuously all day, fingers are very well articulated even for handwriting. They have survived 2.5 active camping seasons so far.

#248343 - 07/11/12 08:20 PM Re: Missing prep item...work gloves [Re: Anonymous]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Originally Posted By: Anonymous
John:

What brand did you try? I have thinnking of trying some 'Hellstorm' gloves from Blackhawk group.

I own the blackhawk SOLAG gloves. Durable to say the least but too thick for my liking, they really heat my hands up.

I am a bit of glove fiend. Always trying new ones, always carry a pair with me in my EDC. Especially for workouts the ground temp here right now is over 145 degrees so dropping to do push ups or touching rocks while hiking demands protection.

My recent favorites have been Mechanix gloves. The brand not the profession. Its take a lot of effort to destroy the tips, stitching holds well, they breath well. A lot of my buddys in uniform have been using Mechanix and got me to try them.

I was really surprised by a pair I got at REI for an overnight adventure. Manzella Windstopper-10 glove handles a surprising amount of abuse, I have not ripped them despite all my best efforts and the efforts of people training me to abuse my hands. Online photos make them look much thicker than they really are. I wore them straight through a 20 hour event that went from low 30's to low 70's, soaking wet, muddy, dried mud, and still kept its shape and its grip. I've since worn them year round even in this desert heat when I run, because I touch and grip sun baked objects and my hands dont get nearly as hot as the SOLAGs.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 348 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by chaosmagnet
Today at 11:34 AM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.