Originally Posted By: spuds
Originally Posted By: widget
A pickup will have more space but is it secure space? One issue I have always had with pickups is the lack of rear wheel traction when really needed. They work well when loaded but on any slippery surface the rear is very squirrely when the bed is empty.
You make a lot of good points in your post.

True on the rears can be light,cant count the numbers I see in snow banks every season.2 wheel drive pickup going uphill in ice/snow,you gotta be kidding,stay home!

Now MY Jeep (YMMV),unlike my truck,is light and will sit there spinning tires bacause it cant hook up to ice then plow thru snow,not my truck. Though chains can make a difference to a point.....

Also good point on secure space.

My answer was a heavy 4x4 truck with a very heavy engine in front,the Cummins. Wont see my truck stuck in a snow bank,or unable to climb the ice chute they call the road to my house. Heavy (TRACTION) 4x4,Secure and great snow/ice tires and a pick up is a fine vehicle.

Plus your dogs can drive it in an emergency

I think it all boils down to what fits a persons needs best and a pickup has always been something I had no use for. I have owned several and always went back to some form of SUV.

What you say about a Jeep being light on the wheels may be true, I have yet to own one before now and I know the concept since I owned a first generation Ford Bronco and a first gen International Scout. They both had problems in certain traction conditions.

A driver and a driver's overall experience has much to do with how effective a particular vehicle will perform. I have seen all sorts of vehicles on their roof or side, or off the side of the road in conditions that I just motored through, with more caution. I am hoping that the lessons that I have learned over the decades will keep me from suffering the embarassment of being a victim of the road conditions. I am sure you know that many a 4-wheel drive owners think their vehicle will go places that it really won't and we've pulled them out once in a while. I have had my share of oops over the years and I hope I learned from it too smile Nice truck BTW!