Thanks greeenghost.

Regarding the dangler, I didn't tie it off and didn't really notice it bouncing around at all. I'm guessing part of the reason for this is that the waist belt from my pack would have been directly over top of most of the cord, holding that part fairly secure. Therefore the sheath didn't really behave much differently than normal, with the exception of being a bit farther down the leg.

The only time I had the dangler set up without something like a waist belt over top of it would have been around camp. I really didn't walk any distance of note this way, but didn't have any discomfort either.

That said, I don't think I'd use this set-up if I was just going on a day hike with a regular day pack. The only other way I may use this dangler idea is winter camping. I'm thinking having the knife ride lower might be helpful in that situation; allowing easier access to the knife without having to pull up the waist of my coat.