Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#250709 - 09/07/12 02:08 AM BriarTek Patent Claims Pressure Popular 2-Way SEND
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

On August 17, 2012, BriarTek IP filed a complaint with the U.S. International Trade Commission that alleges that Delorme's and Yellowbrick's 2-way Satellite Emergency Notification Devices (SENDs) infringe upon a BriarTek patent and should be barred from importation. BriarTek admits their goal is to pressure 2-way SEND manufacturers to license their patent. There's a lot more to this story, including questions as to the validity of BriarTek's patent.

http://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=504
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#250711 - 09/07/12 02:59 AM Re: BriarTek Patent Claims Pressure Popular 2-Way SEND [Re: Doug_Ritter]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
One more case for why current patent law is crap.

#250719 - 09/07/12 07:23 AM Re: BriarTek Patent Claims Pressure Popular 2-Way SEND [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
At first blush they look like another patent troll.

#250729 - 09/07/12 12:54 PM Re: BriarTek Patent Claims Pressure Popular 2-Way SEND [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Not really a patent troll, as that definition specifies a troll as a patent holder who doesn't actually have or intend to have a product to market utilizing the patented technology they claim. BriarTek at least has a SEND device on the market now, and they were members of the relevant RTCM committee.

Doug you have my sympathies, this is the dilemma of every standards organization. You might ask your legal counsel if the following amendment might have caught BriarTek's claim at an earlier juncture: “The ballot to approve every RTCM standard shall ask the member to identify **IN WRITING** any applicable patents **ISSUED OR PENDING** they are aware of which are not identified in the standard.” Patent law is way more complicated than I can really understand, but we wrote our own bylaws to attempt to compel everyone voting on a standard or guideline to disclose a patent interest before approving the standard. Its damned miserable to look around a room and realize someone working with you in the standards effort may have embedded their novel idea into your standard and are awaiting ratification to seek compensation for it. In an industry where innovation takes place among numerous companies outside the standards body, this is a constant risk (or, temptation for patent holders everywhere).

#250740 - 09/07/12 07:16 PM Re: BriarTek Patent Claims Pressure Popular 2-Way SEND [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I should have put it like this- they look like Apple, another company with no problem patenting obvious things, seeking blanket patents for whole categories of vague ideas and calendars that don't match the rest of the world. wink

#250747 - 09/07/12 08:41 PM Re: BriarTek Patent Claims Pressure Popular 2-Way SEND [Re: Phaedrus]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
I should have put it like this- they look like Apple, another company with no problem patenting obvious things, seeking blanket patents for whole categories of vague ideas and calendars that don't match the rest of the world. wink

Maybe so, I don't know - at the moment to me this is just another guy driving a Blue Ford, hardly enough to brand them either a miscreant or having a valid patent claim. I think sometimes people's frustration with the complexity of patents derives from the complexity of technology, and any time we see something we don't really understand or can't differentiate from another technology we may understand better, we leap to an assumption of obviousness and begin to ascribe motives. To me everyone in the field of PLBs are driving Blue Fords. I wish they would all get along and cooperate on standards and such, but sometimes like in many other fields, that ain't gonna happen.

#250765 - 09/09/12 02:26 AM Re: BriarTek Patent Claims Pressure Popular 2-Way SEND [Re: Doug_Ritter]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
It's hard to believe that all of the satellite telephones over the years don't make considerable prior-art here. And that's a pretty recent patent.

But I'm retired now and refuse to read another patent. A root canal is more fun.

#250766 - 09/09/12 04:44 AM Re: BriarTek Patent Claims Pressure Popular 2-Way SEND [Re: jzmtl]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Patent law is about the most respectable areas of the law. If a guy invents something and can prove it in front of a lot super smart people, the inventor deserves the spoils. A patent that is worth anything must go through the grind of many years of investigation, probing, and proving itself. By the time we see news about a patent, it has already gone through years, maybe over a decade, of scrutiny. Patent law encourages innovation because it costs a lot of money to innovate and chase a dream. It even costs a lot of money to sit around and think of inventions, even if the inventor never produces a product. There would be LITTLE INCENTIVE for companies and their inventors to innovate if they could not capitalize on an invention. Thus, there would be far less innovation without our patent law system.

#250769 - 09/09/12 07:04 AM Re: BriarTek Patent Claims Pressure Popular 2-Way SEND [Re: ireckon]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
I believe that if someone invents something truly unique and non-obvious they deserve to benefit from its commercial success. But what I see here is an obvious application of an existing technology.

#250770 - 09/09/12 07:31 AM Re: BriarTek Patent Claims Pressure Popular 2-Way SEND [Re: Doug_Ritter]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
For those who feel strongly either way, I recommend preparing an amicus brief for the court, or prepare a brief and send it to the law firm representing the party you believe. The court system is where patent matters are decided.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 120 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
bacpacjac
by Herman30
07/04/24 11:36 AM
Anoher rescue, this time of a well-prepared hiker
by Herman30
07/04/24 11:32 AM
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by roberttheiii
07/02/24 02:51 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
07/02/24 01:45 AM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.