Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
The current economy, and the probability of it worsening, makes me think that 400 mile journeys are a plausible scenario for more and more people.

400 mile journeys - absolutely; I bet it's happening already. 400 mile journeys by foot - I'm doubtful.

Even still, the thing is we aren't simply talking about if such a journey could become necessary for some people; we are talking about if it makes sense to plan and prepare for one. I seriously cannot think of a single scenario where a 400 mile foot journey would be the only, or even a good, course of action.

I have no problem simply discussing what such a journey would take or historically how people have done this; in fact such a thread would probably be very enlightening. What I have a hard time with is a discussion where someone is seriously considering this as a back-up plan ... especially without first giving really good thought - and an explanation - of why this option is even being considered and what risk it is a viable mitigation strategy for.

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
I don't think this is the streotypical survivalist fantasy we try to avoid here on ets. I think it's a growing reality that more people are facing. Ask anyone you know who's living pay check and worrying about losing a job but has family in "X" or a line ln a job in "Y".

In most, if not all, of these types of situations I would bet bus fare to the location 400 miles away is more affordable than the cost of preparations needed to cover the same ground by foot (bus fare in my case would be $140 for one adult & a child). If preparing for this type of eventuality, putting cash aside is a much more wise course of action compared to buying a bike trailer, lightweight tent, water treatment system, stocking up on dehydrated food, etc.

Think about it this way, if someone came to the forum and said: Things are slowing down economically in my area, I don't have a car, and I'm afraid that in a few months I might be out of a job and would have to travel 400 miles to my home town and live with my family for a while. How should I prepare for this?

Does anyone think a reasonable suggestion would be to prepare for a foot journey? Of course not. We should be looking for the best way to prepare for bad things, the way that gives us the greatest chance of success with the least amount of personal risk.