The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#250560 - 09/03/12 02:50 PM Re: Starting Fires with Fire Steel [Re: Vogeler]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Point of clarification: Hold the knife steady, close to the tinder, and move the fire steel away from the tinder against the knife, keeping the knife still.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#250564 - 09/03/12 04:16 PM Re: Starting Fires with Fire Steel [Re: Vogeler]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Everyone forgot to mention charcloth. Pretty much take some cotton (ie, old t-shirt), wrap tightly in tin foil, throw on some coals for a few minutes (BBQ, campfire, whatever). When it starts smoking it's done. Let it cool. The cotton should be singed - should take a spark easily.

Also, birch is great. Youtube it, but you take the bark, flip it over (so the outer surface is on the ground) and use your knife to scrape it and make a pile of powder. Those shavings go up in a heartbeat. It then catches the rest of the bark on fire, which you move to your already-set-up fire.

Pretty much like everyone else, has to be dry, has to be fine. I can't get cattails or grasses, and only a few types of bark to go up. Using any vaseline is cheating, but works.

Personal opinion, but ditch the magnesium block. It's a POS, and I've NEVER gotten mag shavings to be helpful. Using a file to get shavings is better than chewing up your blade, but still ... the return is so low it's almost laughable.

#250570 - 09/03/12 07:10 PM Re: Starting Fires with Fire Steel [Re: Vogeler]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
I carry several PJ cottonballs in a small metal (o-ring sealed) containers. I made up several a number (5+) years ago. They still work fine. The containers are very small, estimated 3/8 diam by about 1.5". I stuff them in tight and screw on the lid. Then put them is the corners of my gear where they ride well for years.

Never failed to work when needed.

Oh, forgot to add that you don't want too much PJ on the cotton balls. Try them till you get the mix right. Too much and they don't light well.

Nomad

#250572 - 09/03/12 07:28 PM Re: Starting Fires with Fire Steel [Re: MDinana]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Pretty much like everyone else, has to be dry, has to be fine. I can't get cattails or grasses, and only a few types of bark to go up. Using any vaseline is cheating, but works.

If you're not cheating, you're not being smart! Anyway, petroleum jelly predates modern ferro rods. So, petroleum jelly is more primitive than a modern ferro rod, and a modern ferro rod is already squarely within the cheating zone.

#250573 - 09/03/12 07:37 PM Re: Starting Fires with Fire Steel [Re: ireckon]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: ireckon
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Pretty much like everyone else, has to be dry, has to be fine. I can't get cattails or grasses, and only a few types of bark to go up. Using any vaseline is , but works.

If you're not cheating, you're not being smart! Anyway, petroleum jelly predates modern ferro rods. So, petroleum jelly is technically more primitive than a modern ferro rod, and using a modern ferro rod is already squarely within the cheating zone.

Wannabe's rub two sticks together.
Professionals carry a lighter.

#250577 - 09/03/12 10:59 PM Re: Starting Fires with Fire Steel [Re: Vogeler]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
No, they will last for years
boreal.net

#250578 - 09/04/12 12:13 AM Re: Starting Fires with Fire Steel [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Personally, I have used "Boy Scout Firestarter" (white gas) when available. Don't sprinkle too much and cap the container

#250581 - 09/04/12 05:10 AM Re: Starting Fires with Fire Steel [Re: ireckon]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: ireckon
There's no need to repeat what's been said above. I'll say that my primary fire starter is a mini Bic. I use a ferro rod as a reliable backup. Although I have several rods from Firesteel.com, I prefer Light My Fire. Light My Fire is not only easier to use. Firesteel.com lost my trust when they started selling that huge rod for almost $200, and the review that goes with it on their website is comical.

I prefer the Firesteel.com 'steels to the LMF, personally. FWIW I can't get my head around why anyone is bothered by the fact that they sell an enormous 'steel! So what if it's bigger than you'd use- it would still be very useful! I'd love to have that steel. The largest one I have is the "Bunker", and you'd probably find that too large, too. grin For the record, though, my favorite model is the GobSpark Armageddon.

I completely agree though that if you start a lot of fires and are technically proficient at firecraft you may as well use a lighter. It's hard to beat a BIC in conditions favorable towards its use. However I do think it's a great idea to use other methods frequently enough to retain the ability to do so. The time that your lighter fails will probably be the time that you need it most. In that instance it's good to have other options.

Few ways of making fire are more reliable than a firesteel. They work in any weather, at any elevation and at any temperature. They're completely unaffected by being doused with water. They do of course require tinder, same as every other method. PJ cotton is great. ESBIT is outstanding, too; it can serve dual roles as tinder and fuel.

#250584 - 09/04/12 08:19 AM Re: Starting Fires with Fire Steel [Re: Vogeler]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
Has anyone yet mentioned that not all cotton balls are "cotton", some are poly fluff and will not catch a spark worth a damn I 'm told.

#250587 - 09/04/12 03:12 PM Re: Starting Fires with Fire Steel [Re: frediver]
widget Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: frediver
Has anyone yet mentioned that not all cotton balls are "cotton", some are poly fluff and will not catch a spark worth a damn I 'm told.

Very true. Nes sure the cotton balls are actually cotton.

Someone said that ferro rods, or commonly called firesteels are waterproof. That is true but if around saltwater for very long they erode to nothing. Most will erode to dust in a week or so, if the protective coating has been scraped. Even in a pocket around saltwater, like in sea kayaking, they will erode.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 279 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.