Originally Posted By: cfraser
Originally Posted By: jzmtl
So while taking an altoid tin with your diving wouldn't be the best idea, just splashing or raining will be perfectly fine.

Wow, we certainly have a different idea of "perfectly fine". Maybe a foot deep for an hour and it's got that much water in it? Betcha the cheapest zip-lock baggie wouldn't have that much moisture in it... Now, assuming we had our PSK goods in that tin: what would they be like the next time we opened the tin? Remember that this is a PSK, not a container for daily-use items. Could be a month, could be a few years, really no usual need to open except to upgrade/add. I guess the rule is to open a dunked Altoids PSK.

Just saying. I agree people may be over-reacting a bit. Cheap and handy vs "expensive" and built to do the required job. I used to use pipe tobacco tins and they sealed VERY tightly as found, you needed a coin to open them. Typically a bit of a gasket on the lid too.

If you had read my entire post instead of picking one sentence out of context you would have seen my point is just one wrap with tape makes it relatively water resistant in submersion scenario, do it a few times carefully it will be perfectly fine if it gets splashed on, which is much less stringent on watertightness requirement.

And if kept going you would also have seen me advocating put it in a freezer bag if water encounter is expected.