The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#249428 - 08/03/12 05:03 AM Backup glasses from Zenni
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Hello all. Well, several months ago there some discussion of Zenni Online optical, and I recently got around to trying them out. About two weeks ago I broke the bow off the left side of my only pair of glasses. blush Yeah, that's right- even after admitting I only had one pair and needed new ones I still waited til they broke on me. At any rate, went to the opto-doc and got my exam. I dropped $550 but walked out with six pairs of contacts and two very nice pair of glasses. For the first time I ever I remembered to ask for my PD! The lady momentarily had a look on her face as though no one had ever asked before but she readily accommodated [the law does require you be given your entire prescription if you ask, plus I did just drop almost six large!].

So a day or two after getting my scrip I decided to give Zenni a try. Their web site is a bit quirky but they have a crapload of different frames. Since I didn't know how good their stuff would be I opted to get a pretty cheap pair. I chose some rectangular plastic frames, and with the upgrade to polycarbonate and anti-glare coating the price was $30. Shipping brought the grand total to $35.

They actually showed up today. Pretty fast service overall. They came packed in a very plain but quite sturdy plastic storage case. Overall I'm very pleased with them. First off, the optics are dead-on, every bit as accurate as the ones that cost me $400. The edges aren't quite as neat but the scrip is perfect. The PD is also correct, or so it seems. I don't think I'd want them as a daily wear pair since in an effort to get them cheap I picked frames that have no nose pads (like cheap sunglasses). Again, I knew what I was getting so it wasn't a surprise or anything. In the kitchen at work it's usually around 90 F or so, so I'm sure they'd want to slide off. But they'll be perfect as a backup. I may leave them in the glove box of my truck so I always have spares.

This purchase has definitely allayed any concerns I had about their low prices, or of ordering online. I plan to pick up a couple more pairs- I have my eyes on some safety glasses and a nice set of titanium ones.

Again, no affiliation or anything. Just decided to try them on the recommendations of a couple of ETS'ers. I think they were well worth the $35!

#249438 - 08/03/12 05:14 PM Re: Backup glasses from Zenni [Re: Phaedrus]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
AGREED,got 3 pairs from em.Checked out the cheapy bifocals,gonna get a pair with the options loaded.

Very good deal IMO.

#249440 - 08/03/12 09:15 PM Re: Backup glasses from Zenni [Re: Phaedrus]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
Thanks for posting.

I need to get a new eye exam. As soon as I do, I am going to get a spare pair for my BOB from Zenni.

I hope I can remember to ask for the PD...

#249447 - 08/04/12 03:50 AM Re: Backup glasses from Zenni [Re: Phaedrus]
lordnoble Offline

Loc: Upstate NY, USA
I wish I had been a member when the first Zenni thread came up. I've been using them for 4 years. My DW and I have bought almost 30 pairs of glasses from them. I can tell you that SOME of their frames are cheap, their SS and Ti frames are great and extremely lightweight. My only gripe with their selection is that don't offer prescription sunglasses in which the lens itself is corrective. All of their sunglasses (as of last December) had a corrective lens mounted behind the tinted one. Other than that, I love their stuff. I have glasses everywhere: in the house, cars, my EDC bag, my fledgling BOB, even a spare pair in my desk at work. I've only managed to break two pair and that was through carelessness on my part. I have glasses for every type of dress situation and even some in different colors. (nothing crazy, but sometimes one does want a hint of color...)
All in all, I think Zenni provides a fantastic product for the price.

-Jason

#249448 - 08/04/12 10:14 AM Re: Backup glasses from Zenni [Re: lordnoble]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: lordnoble
I wish I had been a member when the first Zenni thread came up. I've been using them for 4 years. My DW and I have bought almost 30 pairs of glasses from them. I can tell you that SOME of their frames are cheap, their SS and Ti frames are great and extremely lightweight. My only gripe with their selection is that don't offer prescription sunglasses in which the lens itself is corrective. All of their sunglasses (as of last December) had a corrective lens mounted behind the tinted one. Other than that, I love their stuff. I have glasses everywhere: in the house, cars, my EDC bag, my fledgling BOB, even a spare pair in my desk at work. I've only managed to break two pair and that was through carelessness on my part. I have glasses for every type of dress situation and even some in different colors. (nothing crazy, but sometimes one does want a hint of color...)
All in all, I think Zenni provides a fantastic product for the price.

-Jason

Great input! It's funny, I've went from thinking of glasses as a prosthetic to almost view them like shirts and shoes- an "accessory." Don't worry everyone- you won't see me struttin' my stuff on the catwalk anytime soon! grin But why not have several? Especially at the price.

As you say, I will probably get several more. The ones I just got (I'm wearing them right now! grin) will probably be deposited into the glove box of my truck just so I always have a back-up on the road.

Thanks for the input on the titaniums. I have a Ti pair in my cart, was just waiting for todays paycheck.

Again, when your eyesight is pretty poor like mine (average -5.25) you can't do much w/o glasses. I generally wear contacts obviously they're subject to plenty of issues. It's good to have multiple redundant backups.

#249489 - 08/05/12 03:58 PM Re: Backup glasses from Zenni [Re: Phaedrus]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

+1 on mail order glasses. (I'm wearing mine now). A bit of work to get all the numbers right (PD) but savings of 50% or more. Most places have a 100% guarantee.

Good site with lots more information ( and discounts)

Glassyeyes

#249869 - 08/14/12 10:18 PM Re: Backup glasses from Zenni [Re: Phaedrus]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
After reading this thread I decide to get two pairs from zenni. Since I was due for a new pair anyway. I went for a $46 Ti frame and a $26 memory Ti frame, ordered last Thursday night and got it this afternoon via DHL, amazing fast turnaround.

So far the prescription is spot on, just like my old pair sans scratches. I went with the default lens because I want to know their quality first, so they are pretty thick.

Default price is amazingly cheap, where they get you however is on options. Thinner lens + extra strong prescription charge + AR coating etc. adds up pretty quick. However it's still half of what local Costco charges.

#249881 - 08/15/12 12:19 AM Re: Backup glasses from Zenni [Re: Phaedrus]
Famdoc Offline

Loc: PA
Discovery channel has the story of Louis Zamperini, who survived 47 days in a rubber life-raft during WW2 on tonight at 10PM. The book, UNBROKEN, about him,is one of the best books I have ever read. The days in the life-raft turned out to be easier than the months that followed. . . .

#249886 - 08/15/12 02:00 AM Re: Backup glasses from Zenni [Re: Famdoc]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Famdoc
Discovery channel has the story of Louis Zamperini, who survived 47 days in a rubber life-raft during WW2 on tonight at 10PM. The book, UNBROKEN, about him,is one of the best books I have ever read. The days in the life-raft turned out to be easier than the months that followed. . . .

Interesting, but unrelated to the thread. Perhaps you should start a new thread to discuss the book?

chaosmagnet

#249899 - 08/15/12 04:17 AM Re: Backup glasses from Zenni [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Yeah, I'm happy with the first pair I bought, happy enough in fact that I plan to order a few more pairs. I only went with 2 upgrades on mine; the $4.95 coating and the polycarbonate lenses. My eyes are bad enough that regular lenses would be pretty thick. Right now I have a pair of the Ti ones in my cart, about $75 with the upgrades I want. But as you say, still half to one-third what they'd cost at my local optical shop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 514 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.