Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#249799 - 08/13/12 05:27 PM Re: Carrying water: what's your preferred method? [Re: Krista]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
I carry a Nalgene "On the Fly" water bottle with me always... It has the cap that actually has a metal clip as a safety to keep it closed, as I have electronics in my bag as well.

I tried the Nalgene Tritan, but it tried to drown my stuff too many times.

#249804 - 08/13/12 06:50 PM Re: Carrying water: what's your preferred method? [Re: chaosmagnet]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I threw it out. If nothing else my wife would never, ever stop teasing me if I drank out of the bladder that the dog peed on.

The "lips that touch dog pee shall never touch mine" ethic is common among non-dog owners, but dog people treat dog hair as a condiment, and are exposed to dog...essence...with every canine kiss, nuzzle and sneeze.

But I understand. Men exhibit all kinds of odd behavior in the sincere belief that it will improve their chances of success with the fairer sex. Pitching a perfectly serviceable hydration bladder is in no way more reprehensible than growing a goatee, wearing a polyester leisure suit, or driving a miata, all widely acknowledged chick magnets.

#249807 - 08/13/12 06:56 PM Re: Carrying water: what's your preferred method? [Re: Krista]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
ROFLMAO

#249808 - 08/13/12 07:00 PM Re: Carrying water: what's your preferred method? [Re: nursemike]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
Huh.. I worked with a guy who wore a lot of polyester and drove a Miata...

But I don't think he was doing it for the "girls".... Don't ask.. don't tell...

#249809 - 08/13/12 07:13 PM Re: Carrying water: what's your preferred method? [Re: KenK]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: KenK
Many years back when at a campout with my son's Boy Scout Troop there was a parent visiting that was wearing some kind of water bladder backpack. She plopped down in a chair and then quickly sprang back up.

It turned out that she'd put ice in her bladder, and the bladder burst open when she sat down - flooding her back and rear end with ice water.

I've always been under the assumption that it was a cheap imitation and that the good brands would not have failed so violently (so to speak).

It must have been a cheaper one. I have used Camelbaks for years (since they first came out) and have put ice in them in the summer with no problems. I wore them under body armor, in vehicles and have abused them thoroughly. I have never had a problem except with the older lids, the ones that did not screw on, occasionally they would pop open.

#249816 - 08/13/12 08:19 PM Re: Carrying water: what's your preferred method? [Re: Krista]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
My Camelbak filling technique for warmer days is to fill the bladder completely with ice, and then fill it with cold water. I've never had even a tiny leak.

#249818 - 08/13/12 10:28 PM Re: Carrying water: what's your preferred method? [Re: chaosmagnet]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
I like the nalgene due to it's compatibility with my water filter, and its ruggedness. Water bladders do have their uses and advantages, but so far this combo has never let me down.

[img:center][/img]

#249894 - 08/15/12 03:11 AM Re: Carrying water: what's your preferred method? [Re: gonewiththewind]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Originally Posted By: Montanero
Many years back when at a campout with my son's Boy Scout Troop there was a parent visiting that was wearing some kind of water bladder backpack. She plopped down in a chair and then quickly sprang back up.

It turned out that she'd put ice in her bladder, and the bladder burst open when she sat down - flooding her back and rear end with ice water.

I've always been under the assumption that it was a cheap imitation and that the good brands would not have failed so violently (so to speak).

Or it could have been a Camelbak and ice got stuck on the lip when she screwed it on or maybe she didn't screw it on flush and the lid popped off when it became pressurized. I'll be honest my reservoir leaked last week when a piece of ice got stuck on my lid and it didn't screw on straight.

I do both. I use reservoirs for longer runs and for paramilitary events where I can not take off my pack to get a bottle. Every day I may have a half filled reservoir in my daypack but I also EDC a Nalgene Oasis (GI canteen version) with a canteen cup and Alice canteen pouch. Today I had both PLUS a 1L wide mouth Nalgene full of water and Chia seeds.

For public gatherings I tend to use a 1L Nalgene. Which I will also nest with a GSI cup for when I carry it normally.

I have never, ever, had a external freezing problem with my drink tube, down to below freezing. I do have a neoprene cover over the tube. I do have a dust cap on my reservoirs of which I own maybe a half dozen.

Camelbak is not the only option of course. Source is a great hydration company. Their design is made for soldiering abuse. it has anti-microbial properties. They have an ingenious cap that fits onto the mouthpiece area to recharge the bladder without having to take it off and open the lid. Platypus makes a reservoir very similar to Camelbak. They have a ziptop lid that is much larger than others already mentioned. And its never leaked on me from that closure system.

TL;DR- I use it all. 1L Nalgene wide mouths, reservoirs, Nalgene GI canteens. I have never had a reservoir freeze on me.

#249905 - 08/15/12 06:41 PM Re: Carrying water: what's your preferred method? [Re: Krista]
Virginia_Mark Offline
Journeyman

I have two different rigs depending on what I am doing, how much gear I need. If I am traveling light I use a Nalgene Canteen & cup combo from the Canteen shop. But if I have a bag with gear, I like my Stainless bottle and cup from the Pathfinder Store. On Extended treks I bring both for a complete cook set. I have the stove options for both as well. I highly recomend the stove ring for the pathfinder bottle, as it helps it nest much tighter (quieter)
Pathfinder bottle set
Canteen shop kits

#249929 - 08/16/12 03:59 PM Re: Carrying water: what's your preferred method? [Re: ]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
In the OP the question referred to what container would fit best in a BOB. A good water bottle stored empty or full makes sense to me for a kit that mostly sits around. But I do use a variety of hydration bladders. I keep an empty one in my Maxpedition Gearslinger bag that I carry on business trips just in case I need to bug out and want to carry more water than my .75L Camelbak bottle.

I also recently picked up a bladder from Geigerrig. This is a pressurized bladder that uses air to force the water out thru the mouthpiece. This solved the problem I had getting my dog to drink while out walking. He didn't like the collapsible bowl nor would he use the special pet bottle with the rolling ball feed. But with the Geigerrig I just squirt water into his mouth and he laps it on down.

You can also use the stream to rinse off, irrigate a wound, or give water to someone else without them chomping on your bite valve.

It also has a fold down, flap-type, opening for easy cleaning and filling. The company web site claims you turn it inside out and run it through the dishwasher.

Just a satisfied customer.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 717 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.