So many great responses and so much great advice, I’ve had to spend the day trying to figure out where to start in my reply back!

First, I’ve learned a huge variety of things from each of you, so you have all helped me in your own ways and I appreciate that!

@AndrewDS: I have no idea what a micro jimmy bar and an LED wand are. Harry Potter-esque flashlight? ☺

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
I'd replace the folding shovel with a folding saw to process firewood...

a water filter so you can process more water, and not have to rely entirely on a finite number of purification tabs

a "push along" heavy tire bicycle or Mormon push cart to transport your daughter

Agreed 100% on the shovel. My husband seemed to think I would need it... me, not so much. I'll probably tell him to put it in his bag if he wants it so bad!

I also like the idea of a water filter, it's one of those purchases I have been putting off... and the cart idea is a great idea considering my distance challenge.

@Stephen: Thank you for your thorough post! I agree, I had not really considered that small game wouldn’t be as plentiful as I imagine. And yours (and everyone’s) concerns about the stamina and endurance needed for such a track is very much noted, and I will be hard at work on an alternative. Ideally, I’ll have my vehicle!

@Burncycle: Your entire post resonated with me, so I won’t quote it all here. I especially like the idea of a prepaid phone for my daughter, I think they even make them these days especially for the youngest children so that they can only make calls to certain numbers like mom or 911. That just moved up my priority list. I also appreciate your thoughts on tents with mosquito netting, that sounds like just the thing I need.

Originally Posted By: Chisel
Krista

Check You tube and search for ( Homemade MRE's ) They show you how to assemble yourr own MRE's from common foods in the market. This is especially imprtant for your kid. Even for you I guess it is better to eat foods you already have tried and liked. Survival times are not the best times to try something new.

Also, the firelighters ( Green Box ) are like a dozen giant matches. If your "bug out" trip takes many days , these will not be enough. Keep in mind that a dozen may in fact mean half a dozen because some of them may be blown out due to wind or rain. Add some lighters and/or waterproof matches. They will increase your chances of starting fires without adding much weight.

Try to make more hoemade stuff and add to the BOB. Examples like cotton balls soaked in vaselene ( there are You tubes on how to make them , real easy ) and homemade MRE's ..etc. This minimizes the cost and adds more "feel" and experience while you make them .

Also, take some weekends with your daughter to test or practice "bugging out" even in your own backyard ( setting shelter, starting fire, cooking dinner on a stove ..etc. ). These weekends will show you first hand what problems you will face personally or what problems may face your daughter or dog

Think and plan for possibilies of being separated from the dog or the daugher. ( What if ?) Train her to some strategy . Think about giving her a whistle just in case. Experts here can debate whether it is a good idea to make a necklace for her whistle or that maybe a choke hazard.

In her bag or pack , put full contact info with your phone # and any other relative in your destination.

Thank you Chisel! I loved your post. I did check on the homemade MRE’s, and I am definitely gonna start doing these. My kid loves MREs, but I hate them, so this is actually ideal for me!
I also checked out the Vaseline cotton balls on youtube, and I was amazed at how quickly they ignite and are used for a building a fire. I mean, I guess it’s common sense, but I would have never thought of it. I’ll be ditching those firelighter things to fireplace duty. My daughter has a whistle, and I have been teaching her to hug a tree and blow the crap out of the whistle!

@All- A lot of you didn’t like the MREs, except Jac. My intention with these was to have enough to get us through the first few days, and then rely on hunting/foraging. They are definitely heavy, so I see the areas of complaints with them. For now, I have reduced to 4 of them (2 for each of us), and I will be working on making my own MRE’s.

@BackpackJac: Extra clothes are in the works, as we get the new school clothes for daughter we will be adding extras for the bobs. ☺ Gives me an excuse to shop for myself at the same time! My daughter loves being involved. She’s been helping me choose the comfort things for her bag, and she gets so excited when I let her blow her “I’m Lost” whistle as loud as she wanted INSIDE! Also, by your and chisel’s suggestion, I am already planning a one night camping trip at a local campsite so we can have lots of fun and work on skills at the same time. I love that kids never realize that they’re learning!

Originally Posted By: LED
Hi Krista. Thanks for sharing your BOB contents! Its a brave thing opening yourself up for constructive critique. smile

My only suggestions would be plenty of emergency cash, at least 1 credit card, and a printed list of phone #'s and address of friends and family. And of course the usual car maintenance items: jumper cables, 12V air pump, spare tire w/jack, etc. And maybe even a CB radio.

It's definitely not easy, but I really like this site because people seem to genuinely enjoy helping one another, not bashing or anything. smile
Thanks for your suggestions. My truck has a basic kit with the items you mentioned except the cb radio. I don't know what the air pump is for (tires?) but I'm pretty sure I don't have one of those. I'll check into it.

@chaosmagnet: The water purification tables are the chlorine dioxide. I had the iodine ones, but someone here told me they taste gross, so they got relegated to my husband’s kit. wink

The lights are not LED, I will however see about upgrading as I go. I’m keeping a running list after this thread.

@JBMAT- Toilet paper, yes!

Originally Posted By: MDinana
OK, my 2 cents ...

I think the people above have great advice. That pack is OK, IF it fits you well.

Plan for 1 day of rest every 5-7 days of hiking - you'll need it!

FAK - adequate. I like more, but I'm biased. You'll probably be OK. Add some duct or medical tape, and some more gauze, and some more moleskin or molefoam.

How much ammo? I wouldn't take more than 3 mags of .40, or more than 100 rds of .22, but that's just me. You're eating, not fighting a war.

Knife - Mora's are cheap, light and relatively good quality. Not to mention you already have a blade on the Gerber and apparently in your pocket. So a fixed blade is almost a 'back up' too.

Tent. You've got a kid, right? You think you'll both like being wet and cold? (it's ALWAYS bad weather when you least can afford it). Make the kid carry the poles or something to help distribute the weight.

Overall, good start though!

Thank you! I think I will be trying out several different bags. I figure the only way to know for sure if it's the right back is to load it up and get out in it!

I'm a little nervous about the fixed blade knife... I'm afraid I'd do something stupid like fall on it! Not much ammo. The magazine that's in it and a spare. Like you said, surviving, not war.I've been looking online at the ultralight 2-man backpacker's tents. Any thoughts on those? I'm hoping to take some sort of first aid class as soon as they offer one in the area at a time that works for me, I figure I can improve my first aid kit then. Why have a bunch of stuff I don't know how to use?

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Krista, the one thing I don't see is a clear statement of the critical situations that would leave you no option but to bug out. (Apologies if I've missed it.)

IMHO, these scenarios must be the basis of your bug-out plan and the gear you choose. You may also discover that making preparations for sheltering in place may be a much more practical approach.

My 2c.

You didn't miss the clear statement, I did not make one. I guess you could call this the "big stinky crud has really splattered all over the place bag". I have a get home bag in my car, and I have an overnight/weekend bag that I could live out of if I had too. This bag is meant to be sort of more all encompassing...

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
I don't want to sound too negative, but it is time for a reality check.

It's not negative, it's helpful! I do realize that the odds in that long distance type of bug out are crazy against me.

The flaws of MREs have been pointed out, and I can definitely work on a better solution! I wasn't really planning to try to carry enough food for the whole trip... just enough to get through the first "oh my god this sucks" few days. smile

Thank you for your very mechanical suggestions, I will research them, but they are at the bottom of my list! Bugging IN is my primary plan. smile

@treeseeker: Thank you for the Katrina link, it’s moved to my Reading List! ☺

LASTLY TO ALL: What is the proper etiquette here for responding to so many people? Is it try to put them all in one like I just did, or what it have been better for me to reply individually? Sorry if this was a strain on the eyes, I wanted to reply to each of you because you’ve been so incredibly helpful!

Edited by Krista (08/11/12 02:42 AM)
Edit Reason: This post made me an official MEMBER! Yay!!!! :)

~Marion C. Garretty