Originally Posted By: ireckon

That's a good observation. The FBI is treating this case as act of domestic terrorism under the U.S. Patriot Act. I call it guerrilla warfare. A soldier going into war and trying to stab an enemy with a butter knife is like that solider is committing suicide.

From the same article on this tragic incident at the Sikh temple:

"Staring down the gunman Sunday morning, Kaleka managed to find the butter knife and tried to stab Page before being shot twice near the hip or upper leg, his son Amardeep Singh Kaleka said Monday.

His son said FBI agents hugged him Sunday, shook his hand and said, "Your dad's a hero."

"Whatever time he spent in that struggle gave the women time to get cover" in the kitchen, said Kaleka, whose mother was among more than a dozen women and children who took cover as Page forced his way into the temple. She dialed 911 while hiding."

Suicide doesn't come to mind for me. Hero. Protector. Selfless. Courageous. I'm not trying to misinterpret what you say ireckon, but the military analogy just comes across a little cold. The man acted heroically, most likely knowing he would suffer from it and face death as well.

I am not surprised he had nothing more than a butter knife to protect others. Its not my first instinct to expect folks to carry weapons for self-protection into a place of worship. In part that's probably why this cowardly attacker chose to effect his own suicide at this temple, its when men of peace gathered together are at their most vulnerable. Even after an event like this, men of peace do not necessarily have to arm up when worshiping. They can remain men of peace.

I honor this man for his courageous acts. And my condolences to everyone who suffers from this attack.