Just about anything....drills,dremel,12 volt impact wrench,the netbook on a trip......gonna get a quality electric chainsaw when work situation stabilizes,thats slowed a lot of projects we would like to do.

Really great when vehicle camping or visiting off grid friends.120 volts at the roadside rest stops on trips,major cool. Truck is our major bug out vehicle so its the cats meow to have 120 power on it.

Duck light was just a photo to show it working.

Havent had a need yet but next power outage it can do the lights around here and computer perhaps? The battery backup with inverter at house is good stuff.

Not so much end of world but live on a snowy mtn with old infrastructure,power outs for hours or a day arent unusual so its a good thing.

Im no electrician at all,and if a schmuck like me can set it up any backyard mechanic/homeowner tinkerer type can.IE,if you can unclog a pipe or fix a dripping faucet you have the skill do to this,its such simple mechanical hookups.A drill maybe,screwdriver,wrench,ability to strip a wire for a wire nut is the toolkit needed

BTW,the first time you make solar electricity,no noise,no nothing but a plugged in fan blowing and lights lighting,it was a major impact moment in my life,really tweaks your mind when you actually see your power there,in the real world,mind blowing.

Mrs thought solar was a cool concept,when we hooked up our first one and plugged in goodies she just sat there looking,totally enthralled and awed.

Our barn has solar lights and outside light from the small three panel system (250 watts) that charges the 8 batteries,uses zilch power really and keeps batteries fully charged for the outages.A large usage would take a couple weeks to recharge,but it is what it is,small generation over a period of time to keep the backup batteries charged, not to power big loads daily.

So many charging options with solar. I call myself Electro-Amish.When the situation gets tough I want to go George Jetson,not Fred Flintstone.

Gary at BuildItSolar site has so many ideas,from simple cheap to high end state of art,his site can give you all kinds of ideas,and if something isnt clear email him,he is a great guy and very receptive to spreading the word and helping.

Edited by spuds (07/31/12 04:33 AM)