Being in the Middle East , we receive lots and lots of TV brodadcasts. Today, I was watching an Iraqi TV station, and a number of these show poor families around the country. Some programs help , but other TV programs only focus on "showing the government" to push it to improve its performance.

Anyway, I got thinking while watching such families surving life at its worst. Not only they are poor but some of them face harder circumstances like : father killed or jailed, both parents dead and the kids living with very old grandmother, or such kind of cicumstances that make a hard life even harder.

One of the stories today was a bit interesting (for me anyway). It was a woman with her two sons (7 & 5 y.o) living in what looks like a home. She has built a room in that yard called a home, and put some kind of roof. The TV guy asked her from where she got the bricks and door. Her answer reminded me of (The Colony) when members dragged half a plane and utilized its wings and engines. The kids used to find a few bricks in the streets now and then, and they drag the bricks home. And one day they found a door , so they and their mother dragged it home. With that material she built the room.

They guy asked her what she wishes for. She said her wishes are too many to list. However one thing she likes to have is a few tiles to put on the dirt floor so she can spray with water (to cool it ) and then she can lay on it with out getting dirty. Also, she wished to have a tarp to put on the roof to stop the rain

He asked her about the rain and while she was telling a story about rain wetting their bed and few belongings, she giggled. He asked what was funny about that ??? She said that they have nothing left in life but to laugh at what happens.

She described what happens when it rains. They jump out of their beds, get together around their kerosene stove for warmth and homy feeling, making tea and waiting for the rain to stop. Meanwhile they "chat around the campfire" so to speak.

I don't know how to describe it but seems these poor folks have learnt how to deal with harsh life in a way we are still studying and experimenting with.