Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
Originally Posted By: Dagny
[quote=Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
A key to my car camping zen is this 12' x 12' screenroom (Eureka Northern Breeze). My tents come and go but this screenroom is the mainstay of basecamp. Shelter from bugs and rain (including withstanding a tropical storm that broke one of my tent's poles). 1" shock-corded aluminum poles that connect at a 4-way hub. I can put this up in 15 minutes by myself. I also have the optional snap-in floor. Each wall can roll up or be used as an awning.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___26300

It's so big I've arrived at camp in thunderstorms, put up the screenroom and then set up my tent inside the screenroom.

I'm curious as to why you would find the need to put up the tent within this particular screenroom? Was the downpour that heavy? It seems that this model once completely outfitted would serve adequately as a tent in its own right, sans a little privacy.

I've seen others use a tarp as the first setup and then setup the tent beside it so that the entrance to the tent is given complete cover.

Thunderstorm (i.e. heavy rain and wind) + convenient sheltered space big enough to set up the tent. It is/was as simple as that.

The screenroom is not completely enclosed so it is not secure from creatures which populate this region, such as bugs, chipmunks, skunks, etc. I also need a tent to keep my dog inside at night, which the screenroom would not do if she was curious about something outside.

Another reason I like that screenroom is for storage of bikes, boats and boat gear. The walls/awnings provide privacy which provides more security for my stuff - which can be an issue at campgrounds (fortunately, I've never had anything stolen but it happens).