I used to backpack a lot when I was younger. But that kind of slows down as you age. Now I just do the car camping thing. Our annual "Men's Only" camping trip, which has been going on annually for probably 30 years now, is a bunch of us old ambulance paramedics (I should say "ex-paramedics") who still love each others company. It used to be just an overnight campout. Now it's three nights. We don't do any more than we used to ... it just takes us longer to do it.

Night one is always a "wine and exotic cheese" party, and in recent years we've been following up those appetizers with fondue (how's that for "wilderness cooking"?) Next night is usually big 'ol steaks, baked potatoes, salad and some kind of baked cobbler. All washed down with some Jack Daniel's and Coke. The third night is our "back to basics" night. Well, kind of "basics". Typically bratwurst, hamburgers, salmon, etc.

And over those four days/three nights we try to prove that we are still young by mountain biking, hiking, kayaking/canoeing, fishing, slingshot shooting contests and the occassional air pistol competition. Just a bunch of old farts having fun. Oh yeah, and we have real comfortable chairs and hammocks we set out under our sunshades for napping!