Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#248667 - 07/17/12 06:51 PM Re: EDC bags? [Re: ireckon]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: ireckon
Side note, my idea of an EDC bag seems to be quite different than what some people have posted here. I can't imagine some of the backpacks actually being everyday carry for anybody. To me, EDC means exactly that. It's a bag I can imagine carrying 365 days per year. I'm talking about carrying it with me almost everywhere, not just carrying it to my car and leaving it in there.

I think that's a really good definition; if its not always with you, its not EDC. This is why I don't have (or plan on getting) an EDC bag smile

#248684 - 07/17/12 08:29 PM Re: EDC bags? [Re: ireckon]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario

Side note, my idea of an EDC bag seems to be quite different than what some people have posted here. I can't imagine some of the backpacks actually being everyday carry for anybody. To me, EDC means exactly that. It's a bag I can imagine carrying 365 days per year. I'm talking about carrying it with me almost everywhere, not just carrying it to my car and leaving it in there.

The litmus test for me is the following: Can I hold this bag comfortably in my lap while I'm at my desk working on my computer? If yes, then, I can use it as an EDC bag. Again, however, I understand everybody has their own needs and style.

Yes, every person's idea and needs of an EDC bag is different. I carry a good sized EDC bag but I do not keep it on my person at all times. At work, it sits beside me all day. In the truck or car, it goes where I/we go but I have not had any reasons to have to carry an on body EDC full time. The closest I get for any EDC on body carry is a SAK and very small flashlight on my key ring.

John Lubbock

#248687 - 07/17/12 08:53 PM Re: EDC bags? [Re: powerring]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

After looking at everyone's suggestions and trying and sending back two of them, I've followed the first reply I got from my post. The suggestion by Powerring for the Tom Binh Synapse, in Black. It's back ordered til mid-September. If I keep it, I will take it to a shoe repair shop to have them sew on three Fastex lash patches. Two on the bottom and one on the lower back, to hold a biking/walking strobe. With all the thought that has gone into the Synapse's design, I'm surprised they haven't done the equivalent by sewing on small lash loops of strapping to accomplish the same end. In any event, I left it as a suggestion when I placed my order. Thanx again guys.

Edited by acropolis5 (07/17/12 08:55 PM)

#248702 - 07/17/12 11:48 PM Re: EDC bags? [Re: acropolis5]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Leather bags can be more than stylish. Leather is more durable (generally speaking) and will not melt. It can be used as a more durable surface for cutting and such as well. A good leather messenger bag with a large flap, made of good, durable leather would be worth the extra weight.

#248711 - 07/18/12 03:13 AM Re: EDC bags? [Re: gonewiththewind]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

I agree that leather is better, in general.
But, it requires much more care than just hosing off. Especially if used in outdoor enviroments.

#248870 - 07/22/12 03:19 AM Re: EDC bags? [Re: acropolis5]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
A follow up from a previous post, I decided to go with this bag for my EDC:
Chinese-made leather manbag from eBay
It has a full grain leather I have seen only on much more expensive bags. I also bought the Maxpedition Remora Gearslinger for when I need a bit more room.

#248902 - 07/23/12 04:19 AM Re: EDC bags? [Re: ireckon]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Nice! Would you mind giving us a quick review once you get it? Do you need to put in some sort of internal organizer? Do you think it looks like a "shoot me first" waistpack, when you wear it through the belt?

#248908 - 07/23/12 06:21 AM Re: EDC bags? [Re: Bingley]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Bingley

Nice! Would you mind giving us a quick review once you get it? Do you need to put in some sort of internal organizer? Do you think it looks like a "shoot me first" waistpack, when you wear it through the belt?

It has a front pocket and a main pocket. The front pocket easily holds a large smart phone. The main pocket has some smaller pockets inside for organization of little things. The main pocket easily holds a point-and-shoot camera, AA flashlight, photon light, pill case, whistle, flash drive, wallet, keys, 5 feet of paracord, and pack of gum, with a little room to spare. The bag barely fits a Kindle Fire if I take a lot of that other stuff out. It's a bag for essentials only. The dimensions in the description are accurate.

You do need an organizer. My organizer is a keyring. Most of those things listed above are on a keyring. My camera, wallet, and smart phone are not on the keyring.

I don't think it looks like a "shoot me first" bag, but I live in a state (California) where handguns in EDC bags are not part of the culture. Also, I have not spent much time in such a culture. So, I'm probably not the best judge. It has belt loops, but I don't plan on using them. I'm accustomed to cross-body carry.

The leather is thick, unfinished, full-grain cowhide boot leather. I wasn't going to protect it at first, but then I read some leather tips on the Internet. Protecting this leather is a must because it's begging to get water stained and nasty looking. After protecting this bag with Sno-Seal, this bag looks like the type of leather that all other leather wants to be. The Sno-Seal caused the leather to turn into a more masculine, darker tobacco brown. This bag from Saddleback Leather is close to the new color.

This bag looks and feels hardy, but is still on the sophisticated side. You might find this bag on some CEO in the Silicon Valley as he's getting out of his sports car wearing a T-shirt. I've been searching for awhile, and I've finally found my EDC bag that will be on me for a long while. I like this bag so much that I just ordered another one to have just in case. Standard disclaimer applies. I'm not the seller, just a satisfied customer. You can check the purchase history on the link and see somebody (that's I) recently bought two. cool

#248976 - 07/24/12 04:24 AM Re: EDC bags? [Re: ireckon]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Thanks, ireckon! That was very thorough! I might just order the same bag. Have to think about my carry habit a bit. (Right now I toss my EDC in a bigger shoulder bag.)

By the way, here's something useful for organizing your purse -- urh, I mean man bag:

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/trave...mp;sku=10041485

Edited by Bingley (07/24/12 04:24 AM)

#248991 - 07/24/12 07:04 PM Re: EDC bags? [Re: Teslinhiker]
Diosces Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Osprey makes awesome EDC capable packs,

I like my modified Talon 14, been using it daily for last 2 years around the 5 boroughs on NYC!
Very comfortable with a moderately roidges/cushioned ventilated back panel.
Carries all my gethome stuff, snacks, small HVAC measurement tools, engineering drawings, comes with a hydration bladder (i removed mine and use that area to store ppe and tools.

url=]Raptor[/url]

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 496 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by chaosmagnet
Yesterday at 11:56 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by chaosmagnet
06/20/24 04:58 AM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.