Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#248019 - 07/05/12 06:15 PM Re: Key chain as the basis of your EDC? [Re: TeacherRO]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
^ I carry one too, but not "always", more like when Izzy does. They tend to be Maxpeds, so no keychains needed, but I see what you mean. I have tried the multiple keychains in pockets too, to distribute the weight/poking.

That other stuff was just kidding BTW.

I never need gadget keychains except in the hot months here, otherwise I have a jacket etc. pockets for my EDC pouch. In the hot months, I tend to leave my shirts untucked (retired lol), so that's usually lousy with belt pouches. They are very strict with guys bringing anything strapped (i.e. not on belt) into stores around here. Don't get me started on that...

#248020 - 07/05/12 06:16 PM Re: Key chain as the basis of your EDC? [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I've posted this on other threads, but may be missing something as to the way the your key rings are carried...I'm a retired science teacher, and had keys for the acid storage, flammables cabinet, and chemical supply storage on my key ring that needed a degree of security, so I never just laid down my keys on my desk..I used a double pull snap nylon belt loop with a plastic hook snap from a law enforcement supply shop to secure the keys to my belt...with a large central ring and several smaller rings to spread the bulk vertically not to increase the diameter.. they loop/snap arrangement was long enough that all the keys would fit in my rear pocket, and allow the pocket flap to be closed... this worked well, save for breaking the rather small link on the plastic Fox whistle, that I somehow lost...I use the same nylon double snap to secure my Maxpedition cell pouch, rather than a clip...these add a lot of security when out on the scooter (Yamaha FJR 1300)...

#248027 - 07/05/12 07:06 PM Re: Key chain as the basis of your EDC? [Re: LesSnyder]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
Sorry Izzy, guess I did ask a lot all at once there.

I have a couple of new rolls of Gorrila tape but havn't broke into them yet. I have been using the issued army OD tape. Man what a mess that stuff makes when it warms up or gets wet. Goo all over everything. I am looking forward to trying the new tape out (usually wrapped around my lighter)I kayak a lot so its going to get wet.

As for prying, that little strip of metal dosen't look all that strong. I guess I could be wrong. I have a few Boker prybars(the titanium ones with the little glass punch) I wish you guys had a buy/sell/trade section on here so I could offload them. I EDC the leatherman skeletool and find the plier head makes a way better prytool than the screwdriver does actually. Probably because it's thinish and flat.

As for the whole man bag thing. Well....To each his own I suppose. I don't care how it would look to anyone else, I just don't like being attached to something that big when out and about in surburbia. My solution to the whole "how do I carry all this in my pockets" debate is rather obvious.

I Wear stuff with more pockets.

If I can't fit it in a pair of cargo shorts I probably don't need to EDC it.

#248051 - 07/06/12 03:17 PM Re: Key chain as the basis of your EDC? [Re: Stephen]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: Stephen

I did that when I was young and strong. Now that I have entered the "63 to death" segment of the age demographic, I suffer from the big gut-no butt syndrome, and well-burdened cargo shorts quickly become ankle holsters. Happened just the other day during the TSA airport pat-down, with empty pockets. You would think that no one had ever seen an old guy in a thong before...so I carry either a man-purse or ruck. Pretty soon i will be able to hang it on my walker...*sigh*...

#248052 - 07/06/12 03:27 PM Re: Key chain as the basis of your EDC? [Re: TeacherRO]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

For me the "keychain" EDC is more about being able to find what you need in the middle of the night without emptying your pockets and losing stuff. It is an organization and accessibility thing. The keychain can also move between different styles of clothing, and components can be added and removed easily. When I travel by air, I remove the items that are prohibited and put them together on another ring in a bag with my other knives. when I am in a suit, I can still carry what I need. The keychain keeps it all together and transfers easily. If I am in the woods and wearing cargo pants, I use the keychain as a supplement to the more robust collection of larger and more durable items I carry then. In this case, it may actually be hung from my belt instead of in a pocket. Everything is done according to personal situation and preference. What works for one may not work for another. What works in one situation may not work in another situation.

#248060 - 07/06/12 04:55 PM Re: Key chain as the basis of your EDC? [Re: nursemike]
powerring Offline

Originally Posted By: nursemike

I did that when I was young and strong. Now that I have entered the "63 to death" segment of the age demographic, I suffer from the big gut-no butt syndrome, and well-burdened cargo shorts quickly become ankle holsters. Happened just the other day during the TSA airport pat-down, with empty pockets. You would think that no one had ever seen an old guy in a thong before...so I carry either a man-purse or ruck. Pretty soon i will be able to hang it on my walker...*sigh*...

laugh

I'm not in your Nielson demographic yet but I also suffer "no butt syndrome". I mentioned to someone else recently that I own a Vic Midnight Manager specifically to have the most function vs. weight while wearing shorts with elastic waistbands.

#248073 - 07/06/12 10:15 PM Re: Key chain as the basis of your EDC? [Re: TeacherRO]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I agree that a key chain is a foundation for keeping things organized in a bag or pocket. By the way, this is going to be my next man bag for EDC in a suburban/urban environment:

http://www.amazon.com/ClaireChase-Ultima...hase+distressed

#248082 - 07/07/12 04:25 AM Re: Key chain as the basis of your EDC? [Re: nursemike]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: nursemike

You could always try the cargo shorts with suspenders route. Maybe even weave them with genuine 550 cord in alternating colours(I know someone here probably can) Deck them out with some fire steel pouches, a mini compass, a few other gizmos and "wham!" The coolest 63 year old on the whole block. Combined with your thong you never know. YOU could be getting a call from Cody Lundine to fill in for Dave Canterbury on the next season of dual survival.

If that fails you could always patent the "survival walker" in a few years. grin

#248091 - 07/07/12 11:01 AM Re: Key chain as the basis of your EDC? [Re: Stephen]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...

You could always try the cargo shorts with suspenders route. Maybe even weave them with genuine 550 cord in alternating colours(I know someone here probably can) Deck them out with some fire steel pouches, a mini compass, a few other gizmos and "wham!" The coolest 63 year old on the whole block. Combined with your thong you never know. YOU could be getting a call from Cody Lundine to fill in for Dave Canterbury on the next season of dual survival.

Now THAT was funny

#248134 - 07/07/12 08:42 PM Re: Key chain as the basis of your EDC? [Re: Stephen]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
thank you, stephen. i do wear suspenders regularly, but tend to skip them when going shirtless, to avoid a sort of demented chippendales look, and tan lines. the market for old folks survival gear is essentially unexploited: i will get to work on it.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 363 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.