Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#247571 - 06/27/12 02:31 PM Re: Suggestions for desert travel car kit wanted [Re: Pete]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
apparently "simple" act of changing a tire in 105-110 degree heat becomes are very unpleasant experience.

Been there, done that

Take work gloves with you. Why ? Cause when you have a flat and loosen the wheel nuts and put them aside with the tools (on the hot aspahlt no less), it only takes the few minutes you bring the spare tire and try to pick the wheel nuts or wrench again, OUCH !!! They are HOT . Trust me !!

#247574 - 06/27/12 04:00 PM Re: Suggestions for desert travel car kit wanted [Re: barbarian]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have offered aid and assistance, and received same, on occasions in what would be considered by most here to be "desert" conditions. There have been no unusual incidents or characters. I think you are more likely to run into a "pyscho" in the city that out in any rural environment. There is nothing special about desert landscapes that fosters antisocial behavior.

#247580 - 06/27/12 04:57 PM Re: Suggestions for desert travel car kit wanted [Re: drahthaar]
Pete Offline
Veteran

"Take work gloves with you. Why ? Cause when you have a flat and loosen the wheel nuts and put them aside with the tools (on the hot aspahlt no less), it only takes the few minutes you bring the spare tire and try to pick the wheel nuts or wrench again, OUCH !!! They are HOT . Trust me !!"

That's true.
The problem with the direct heat from the sun - is that there's absolutely no shade out there. Anything metal gets really hot - really fast. So does the asphalt. It would be worthwhile to have a small tarp or a piece of canvas that you could throw on the ground, just in case you need to kneel to do any work. Likewise, if you get stopped for some reason, you could throw it over your head for shade.

There are no trees in the desert. There are no buildings nearby the road, except at isolated towns. If you get stopped and you are on the open road in the middle of the day - you are directly in the suns rays. It's not a fun experience :-(

Pete2

#247595 - 06/27/12 09:54 PM Re: Suggestions for desert travel car kit wanted [Re: Pete]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
[quote=Pe
There are no trees in the desert. There are no buildings nearby the road, except at isolated towns. [/quote]

Okay, it is time to get specific. There are deserts with extensive treeless areas, but in other there is plenty of shade. The Lower Sonoran Desert - Tucson and Phoenix and the area to the west - contains a fair number of trees which provides a significant amount of shade. There are also rocky gorges and other geological features which also provide shade and shelter. Some of these are amazingly pleasant. You may or may not be able to take advantage of them. Even endless sand dunes provide some shade early and late in the day. Desert are far more varied than their depictions in B movies.

#247596 - 06/27/12 10:15 PM Re: Suggestions for desert travel car kit wanted [Re: drahthaar]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

I hope we haven't ruined drahthaar's vacation. Then again, if he wanted encouragement he should have posted on Equipped_To_Party.com instead... smile

#247617 - 06/28/12 04:50 AM Re: Suggestions for desert travel car kit wanted [Re: hikermor]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
There is nothing special about desert landscapes,that foster anti-social behaviour........Except Meth labs & the tweekers who foster them!The Op didn't say Arizona specifically did it? The southwest can be CA,NV,UT,NM,CO,TX,or AZ,& Unfortunately this day & age,the tweekers are prolific throughout,hence the suggestion of having a firearm will suffice as,a piece of good to have kit.All the other suggestions are Real Good "must haves & will do's" & If it were me,I wouldn't take any of this advice lightly! cool

#247636 - 06/28/12 03:18 PM Re: Suggestions for desert travel car kit wanted [Re: drahthaar]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
After reading the responses I find there is a great variety of suggestions, all of which are great. However, it would have been easier to give more focused and specific answers if the actual destination was stated by the OP - no offense. Knowing which of the various types of desert environments the OP will be in is an example of a key bit of info. I spent four years in the Tucson area. I can tell you that desert area is far different than the Gila Bend and Phoenix area deserts.

#247653 - 06/28/12 09:32 PM Re: Suggestions for desert travel car kit wanted [Re: drahthaar]
drahthaar Offline

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

I will supplement my kit accordingly.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 597 Guests and 51 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.