Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#247502 - 06/26/12 03:32 AM Shirt Pocket PSK
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

http://a2.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/138/6edb5f86231a4d29bc02457f0c91803e/l.jpg

I made this kit inside a small tin meant for gift cards. They were three for a dollar at the dollar store after thne holidays. It measures roughly 4 1/4 long, a shade under 2 3/4 wide and 1/2 inch deep. I made it strictly with items I had on hand, I didn't buy a single thing specificly for this project other than the tin.
The photo was taken without the chlor floc tablets, striker strip and cotton balls to show the layout and contents more clearly.
The coil on top of the paper matches is the snare, not a wire saw as some have thought. The knife is one of my Altoids designs which a made from the blade of an old hand saw and which sadly did not meet my admittedly rigid expectations. It's buried on the bottom of the tin. The magnifier is a lens from a disposable camera and may or may not work as a fire starting device, but at the very least shows tiny cactus thorns embedded in the skin. There's no compass, whistle or signal mirror as I did not have any of these items at the time. I considered a strip of aluminum foil tape as a substitute signal mirror but the inside of the lid seem to throw just as much light. I'll probably carry it for a few months until I make the next, better, one then toss it in the box with the rest.
Any comments are welcome, as always.

COMPACT DISPOSABLE LIGHTER WITH BLUE DUCT TAPE WRAPPED AROUND IT
POOR MANS SPARKLITE
LARGE WOODEN STRIKE AMYWHERE MATCHES
SMALL WOODEN STRIKE AMYWHERE MATCHES
WATERPROOFED PAPER MATCHES WITH TWO STRIKER STRIPS ATTACHED
CANDLE
TINDER CUBES
COTTON BALLS
LARGE STRIKER STRIP

LONG FISHING MONOFILIMENT 15# TEST
FISH HOOKS ASSORTED SIZES
SINKERS SPLIT SHOT
PLASTIC LURES
SNARE

LONG STRONG NYLON STRING
DENTAL FLOSS
LARGE NEEDLE
SMALL NEEDLE WITH LONG THREAD
SAFETY PINS
ROLL OF RED DUCT TAPE

SINGLE EDGE RAZOR BLADE
FLAT SAWBACK KNIFE
SCALPLE BLADE
ALEVE PAIN RELIEVERS
BAND AIDS
BUTTERFLY CLOSURES

TWIST TIE
WATER BAG
CHLOR FLOC TABLETS
POTABLE AQUA TABS

RED MARKER TAPE

Edited by Snake_Doctor (06/26/12 03:59 AM)

#247504 - 06/26/12 04:27 AM Re: Shirt Pocket PSK [Re: ]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

Awesome use of space!

Any chance we can see it spread out? If you don't feel like repacking it I understand though laugh

#247505 - 06/26/12 04:40 AM Re: Shirt Pocket PSK [Re: Burncycle]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Maybe. Can't show the knife as it's a private design. Can you see the pic? All I can see is the link.
Thanks for the reply.

Edited by Snake_Doctor (06/26/12 04:43 AM)

#247508 - 06/26/12 07:18 AM Re: Shirt Pocket PSK [Re: ]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
Maybe. Can't show the knife as it's a private design. Can you see the pic? All I can see is the link.
Thanks for the reply.

Can't see the pic, just the link, but following it worked fine

#247509 - 06/26/12 08:40 AM Re: Shirt Pocket PSK [Re: ]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

Nice package - it is heavy on fire and food while there are some things (like a compass) that I would have expected - without knowing your location or possible uses hard to critique beyond that; different strokes for different folks etc.

#247511 - 06/26/12 01:23 PM Re: Shirt Pocket PSK [Re: ]
barbarian Offline
Journeyman

Loc: USA
I see you listed long nylon string. Is that string sufficient to frame a quick lean-to? Curious what you had in mind for it, since the other main 4, besides shelter, are fairly well-adressed.

#247514 - 06/26/12 01:57 PM Re: Shirt Pocket PSK [Re: ]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
I use a scalpel in my mini kits...very flat and can improvise handle from twig if needed. YMMV

#247515 - 06/26/12 02:06 PM Re: Shirt Pocket PSK [Re: ]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Nice kit snake doctor, esp for putting it together with just what you had lying around. And + 1 on the packing job.

Any time I evaluate a kit (even my own) I compare it to the 5 immediate priorities: Medical, Shelter, Warmth, Water, and Signalling (I remember this with the saying Many Silly Water Willies Swim - silly I know but it works for my son and I). Looking at the list, you've got some basic Medical supplies (about as much as possible in a kit this size); Shelter is an obvious omission that jumped right out at me, but in all fairness it is often left out in a kit this size and can be easily added by folding a bandanna around a large garbage bag or two and putting that in another pocket or securing it to the outside of your tin; Warmth seems to be adequately covered, and though you do have some waterproofed paper matches, be sure the striker strips have a way to stay dry (they have a bad habit of disintegrating when they get wet); water looks to be covered as you have a way to store it with the water bag and a means to purify it with the aqua tabs and chlor floc (though I am wondering why you carry both of those); Signalling is another weak spot, esp with no whistle or signal mirror (you do have fire making capabilities which can be an effective signal, but as stated above be sure that ability will not be compromised).

The rest is gravy. You included some tools (assorted sharps), multipurpose and repair items (esp the sewing items and tape), and some items for food procurement (snare wire and fishing kit). One tool I would suggest adding is a small led light, and adding some aluminum foil wouldn't hurt either and would take up very little extra space (and space looks to be at a premium in your kit at the moment).

#247528 - 06/26/12 04:13 PM Re: Shirt Pocket PSK [Re: ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
looks good. Similar in "cramming" to my altoid PSK.

How do they compare in size?

#247665 - 06/29/12 01:41 AM Re: Shirt Pocket PSK [Re: bigreddog]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

A compass is part of my standard carry in the bush. As i said I didn't have any on hand at the time. It was made of scrounged materials. Thanks for the reply red.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 564 Guests and 43 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.