I went ahead and ordered that 11'x11' tarp from SportsmansGuide. At $26, it is cheap enough to try and not fret about if it turns out to be junk. I've already got tons of paracord and trekking poles for supports, so now I just need to buy some decent stakes that won't self destruct the first time I pound them into the ground. I already have an excellent tent, although heavy (8lbs total weight - that's why I was considering the REI tent - much lighter). My current tent is a 2-1/2 man Northface 3-4 season convertable. Rock solid, useable for winter mountaineering. Doesn't breath that well in the summer, even when "converted", due to the fully sleeved poles and other 4-season features. I really wouldn't want to backpack with it due to the weight and size, but I'm thinking of putting the tarp in the BOB and having the tent sitting by itself right next to the BOB. If possible, and if I'm going for vehicular travel (as I would normally expect), I can grab the tent and carry it to the truck while wearing the BOB backpack.