I love Damper and we make on virtually every trip.

I use a traditional flour and water recipe - very simple, but that's how I like it. I do usually use Self Raising Flour by the way, but sometimes, just plain flour.

As to cooking it, we usually cook it on a stick over the coals, if the kids are about, or I will make it into Johnny Cakes, small balls a little bigger than a golf ball, and these can be pressed onto any pan or griddle (dry - no oil).

Another favourite is to bake the damper directly on the coals - no pan, no foil! Just form a disk shape, scrape a hole in the coals, and lay it the hole then cover with coals.

If we have bullrush pollin (not very often), mix it in with the flour (about 50% is great, but whatever amount you have will do just fine) it makes beautiful sweet, golden damper. Extra delicious.

As for toppings, I don't think you can beat butter and Golden Syrup !

Here's a small damper sitting in the coals - this was in a drum, rather than a "proper fire", but it did work out OK. (ie a poor coal base so it was difficult to cover it effectively). Surprisingly the bits of coal and ash will not stick, and can be brushed off when you take it out.

Here's the finished product. Don't worry if there is a bit of black on the outside, just scrape if off, that's why you have a knife isn't it ?