Anyone living on the Oregon coast ought to be making plans to camp out long-term at home, in a tent or a vehicle. Evacuation by any means to the I-5 corridor, let alone central Oregon, would be extremely daunting if not impossible.

I can't see evacuating to central Oregon from Portland, either (162 miles from Portland to Bend). Up and over Mt. Hood on Hwy 26 after a huge earthquake? No way.

I'm from Hood River Valley (60 miles east of Portland, it stretches from Mt. Hood to the Columbia River). In the mega-quake scenario that would cause anyone in Portland or the coast to consider going east of the Cascades, they may well find I-84 impassable. The rock-fall from the cliffs in the Columbia Gorge surely would be considerable. Bridges would be vulnerable. The smaller mountain pass roads? Doubtful.

It is 200-250 miles from the coastal towns to central Oregon. 80-100 miles from the bigger northern coast towns (Astoria, Seaside, Cannon Beach) to Portland.

Long before any evacuees got near the Cascade mountains, they'd have to contend with the coastal mountain range which is in between those coastal towns and the I-5 corridor. Collapsed bridges would not just block vehicles but would make egress by foot or bicycle far more difficult, too.

I graduated from Oregon State University and made countless drives to Newport - the nearest coastal town. Cannon Beach is my favorite Oregon coast town and I often go when visiting Oregon. Since becoming aware of the CSZ I have given a lot of thought to the worst-case scenario and it is very grim for tourists caught up in such a disaster. Full-time residents would at least have the benefit of their pantries (well stocked, if they're wise).

I'm among those who've long advocated the merits of mountain bikes and bike trailers in such dire scenarios. On the Oregon coast, an off-road motorcycle could make a lot of sense, too, if only to commute to the Red Cross shelters that would eventually be established.

May God help residents and tourists on the Washington-Oregon-California coasts if the worst-case CSZ scenarios occur. It will be awhile before any other help could get to those communities.