Yes, Arney . I know how little water it produces , but for the limited amount of work and skill necessary to make it, it was worth it to give it a try.

In the first season of Colony they constructed a shower with water tank/solar heater on the roof of the building. In the 2nd season, they constructed a windmill on the roof. IMO, it was also worth it to construct a mega distillation or at least 3-4 solar distillation systems on the roof. Most of the matrial was available.

In addition, they wasted lots of energy on non-essential stuff!! so why not solar stills ? IMO, if they had enough energy to make such unnecessary gizmos like the sun-tracking-rotator for the solar panels ( which is ridiculous IMO, with all my respect to John Cohn, the professor, whom I admire), they would be wiser to spend the resources on mega or multiple solar stills to , at least, supplement their drinking water.

If they made 4 solar stills on the roof and each of them produced 2 liters a day, that is eight liters. Almost one liter per person a day.

Off course, they should have improved their rain catching system too. In Season 2 , a cistern was constructed to hold around 400 gallons of rain. In season 1 , they has the "luxury" of the rain gutters pouring rain INSIDE the building. So, collecting rain would have been safer and easier. But they just collected rainwater in ice chests and other containers. They could have made a cistern in season 1, but it seems to me that if it didn't involve electronics and lots of welding, they didn't want to do it. LOL

Edited by Chisel (04/10/12 06:03 AM)