Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#244267 - 04/02/12 04:40 AM Spare Sets of Clothing
Frisket Offline
Addict

So how many spare sets of clothing do you have and where ya got um stashed? How complete are these sets?

While at walmart I noticed I can put together a head to toe set of clothing for cheap and now I wanna throw a set in the car. Pants for 14$ shoes for 14$ a hat for 10$ so on so forth.

Would having a cheap 14$ pair of shoes be worse then no shoes when you need a quick replacement pair?

#244272 - 04/02/12 05:53 AM Re: Spare Sets of Clothing [Re: Frisket]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i would buy good used clothing at places like Goodwill before i would get anything cheap at one of the "Marts" where it would be made in China of who knows what quality.shoes i would spend a bit more on as ill fitting shoes can be very painful.

#244275 - 04/02/12 08:29 AM Re: Spare Sets of Clothing [Re: Frisket]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

Depends on what you need to do. If I was relying on those shoes to carry me on a year of living in the mountains then I'd want them to be good. However, if I just want a spare dry pair to potter round my survival shelter anything will do.

Also bear in mind that if these are 'one use only' then cheap ones might do - the spare hikers in my car are nearly new cheapish 'trainer/boot' hybrids. I don't have huge longevity expectations, but I need them to swap for dress shoes for a maximum 45 mile hike to get home. They'll last for that.

#244276 - 04/02/12 08:41 AM Re: Spare Sets of Clothing [Re: Frisket]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I've had some really cheap shoes that were extremely comfortable. At Wally-World they sell TreadSafe shoes; they're sold mainly to cooks and other people who need non-slip soles. They don't last very long but they're extremely comfy. A pair of Redwing's will last me a couple years in the kitchen (and by then they're blown up) whereas the TS will only last maybe 6 months, tops.

#244277 - 04/02/12 10:05 AM Re: Spare Sets of Clothing [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Shoes are the critical item. I don't like wearing dress shoes or anything I can't walk five to ten miles in comfortably. I usually stash a pair of well worn but still serviceable light boots in my car. I also have an ActionPacker filled with a complete set of clothing stashed in the garage - something to wear in case I have to leave the house in the middle of the night.

#244278 - 04/02/12 10:14 AM Re: Spare Sets of Clothing [Re: bigreddog]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
While a spare set of clothing is a good idea, it's also worth mentioning that toiletries tend to go hand-in-hand with spare clothes. That's why I always keep a Dopp Kit (or toiletry kit) made up for myself. Whenever I pack spare clothes it gets tossed in the bag.

Having that kit means I have soap, a washcloth, shampoo, deodorant, shaving stuff, toothpaste/toothbrush/floss, hair brush, a little mirror, tweezers, band-aids, Tums/Advil/Pepto, and some other little miscellaneous items.

More often than not, I've found the Dopp kit to be more important than the spare clothes. I mean, there have been plenty of times where I've had to sleep in my clothes overnight (college memories anyone?), but it was never really a big deal as long as I could find somewhere to clean myself up a bit in the morning until I could get home.

I mean, my clothes might have been a bit dirty/wrinkled, but at least I looked and smelled kinda clean (even if I was suffering from a terrible hangover). wink

[On a side note, if you're looking to make up a cheap toiletry kit, check out your local dollar store. They usually sell all the basics and in small travel sizes, perfect for making up a little kit.]

#244281 - 04/02/12 11:45 AM Re: Spare Sets of Clothing [Re: Frisket]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I keep a complete set of clothes for 1 adult in our family BOB in my Jeep. (Socks, unders, LS t-shirt, fleece pants, rain pants and wool jacket.) They're not all fancy and they'll be wrinkly but they are clean and dry.

DS has a complete set in his survival kit, which also lives in the Jeep. Having an adventurous 8 year old boy means that his spare clothes have gotten a work out on several occassions. What a relief it is to get arrive in the parking lot after a hike or something, him covered in mud, and be able to clean him up before he gets in!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#244282 - 04/02/12 11:47 AM Re: Spare Sets of Clothing [Re: Frisket]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Inexpensive footwear could be a good option for emergency/occassional use. Other than figuring out how rough and tumble they vs what you plan to do with them, I'd also make sure you break-in shoes and boots before you expect to cover in distance or time in them. Blisters will not make for a happy day!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#244284 - 04/02/12 01:00 PM Re: Spare Sets of Clothing [Re: Frisket]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I typically wear athletic style shoes, and New Balance and ASICS tend to fit better than the rest...also tend to pronate, so I try to get a pair every year or so.. older pair make it to the car for backup...down here a good pair of moisture wicking socks is pretty important... rest of clothing is long sleeved nylon caped back flats fishing shirt....nylon shorts... old pair of sweat pants and GoreTex parka and fleece jacket always in car..

#244288 - 04/02/12 01:38 PM Re: Spare Sets of Clothing [Re: Frisket]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I have a small duffel with spare clothes I keep in my truck. I didn't go out of my way to buy cheap clothes. A couple pair of quality wool socks & liners is a good start, followed by a pair of jeans that are well worn in and comfortable. If you're in a humid climate, think about materials that wick. For shoes think about replacing your hiking boots while they still have lots of life and putting the comfortable pair that are just right into reserve status.

My philosophy on spares is wrapped around the idea that whatever makes you go to spares/back-ups may be serious and that is no time to be wearing cheap Wal-Mart specials that may not cut it in your hour of need. Don't set yourself up to fail. Don't forget a good belt and you may need a spare multi-tool also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 229 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
bacpacjac
by Herman30
07/04/24 11:36 AM
Anoher rescue, this time of a well-prepared hiker
by Herman30
07/04/24 11:32 AM
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by roberttheiii
07/02/24 02:51 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
07/02/24 01:45 AM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.