Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#244289 - 04/02/12 01:43 PM Re: Spare Sets of Clothing [Re: Russ]
NAro Offline
Addict

My auto BOB has a complete set of clothes in several vacuum pack pouches (used my old Foodsaver). Waterproof, very compact.

#244291 - 04/02/12 02:41 PM Re: Spare Sets of Clothing [Re: Frisket]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
The BOB I keep in my car has a rain suit but no other clothes in it, although there is a full toiletry kit including contact lens support infrastructure, spare lenses and spare glasses.

In a separate duffel bag I have a medium jacket, ski gloves, work gloves, a sweater, a belt, a full change of clothes with extra socks, and a pair of broken-in but not broken-down sneakers, with a pair of boots in the same state. Since I always have a warm fleece and a rain shell in my car I can start with no clothes and layer for just about any weather conditions short of the Arctic.

I've found the clothes handy in everyday situations like getting soaked in an unexpected downpour. I've also had my pants tear at work, so having Emergency Pants in the car is essential. There's a reason I chose this screen name.

At the office I have a light kit that includes a change of clothes, since I take the train instead of driving most days.

Edited by chaosmagnet (04/02/12 02:42 PM)
Edit Reason: Posted too soon

#244309 - 04/02/12 11:08 PM Re: Spare Sets of Clothing [Re: CANOEDOGS]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
i would buy good used clothing at places like Goodwill before i would get anything cheap at one of the "Marts" where it would be made in China of who knows what quality.

Maybe people should stop buying iphones, ipads, Nike's, Pierre Cardan, Hermes and all sorts of quote/unquote 'name brand, really good stuff' because its made in China. Apple isn't shy telling consumers its products are all made there and they are the richest company in history.

----------

Why do you need to buy new stuff for back ups? Just take items that are serviceable in your closet but not worn often and use that. Extra pair of BDU bottoms, belt extra pair of wool socks, extra tee shirt and jacket. We all have these items in our closet that are perfectly fine except they no longer fit our 'current' fashion style this year. But remember this, dry and warm: never go out of style.

Specifically for Walmart footwear, I was on a trip and needed a pair of gortex boots really quick and Walmart was the only place open I could get to, and they were just fine. in fact I used them for yard work and back ups for a couple more years. They weren't even their name brand stuff like Caterpillar and Wolverine

#244311 - 04/02/12 11:59 PM Re: Spare Sets of Clothing [Re: Frisket]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm all for not buying iphones, ipads, and Nike's, don't know what Pierre Cardan, and Hermes are so I can't say if they are crap like the others.
I use mu older clothes for spares. the jeans that ripped at the knee go in and the jeans that get more too many holes or shrink to where they no longer fit get cut up to make patches for the ones with just a hole in the knees.
Faded or just worn work clothes, usually they wear at the bottom of the cuff, so when they get too worn for work I rip the seam, cut at the fold then fold and sew and those become spare and around the house clothes.
Back to the first point comms made I'm trying to search out more USA made products, they last longer usually anyway. So far this year its been a Buck knife and Henry rifle smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 247 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
bacpacjac
by Herman30
07/04/24 11:36 AM
Anoher rescue, this time of a well-prepared hiker
by Herman30
07/04/24 11:32 AM
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by roberttheiii
07/02/24 02:51 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
07/02/24 01:45 AM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.