Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#244039 - 03/29/12 07:41 PM Testing heat exchanger pot efficiency
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
I wanted to know how much difference does the heat exchanger on pot makes, and finally got around to do some tests.

Setup is as following, Brunton Vapor AF running on butane canister in liquid feed mode. Primus 1L eta power and alutech. Litech would be directly comparable but I don't have one, alutech feels thinner and lacks anti-stick coating, but that shouldn't make any difference.

Test was done inside to eliminate any environmental factor, each pot was filled with 300ml cold tap water and brought to rolling boil, in triplicates.

Weight difference (i.e. the weight addition of heat exchanger) between a 1L eta and litech is 23g according to Primus.

Boiling time:

eta pot alutech
3'30 4'10
3'23 4'12
3'27 4'20

Average difference of 48 seconds, 23% more efficient. While not up to Primus' 33% claim, it's not too far off either. I suspect on bigger pots with bigger exchanger the result would be closer.

#244051 - 03/29/12 09:38 PM Re: Testing heat exchanger pot efficiency [Re: jzmtl]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: jzmtl
I wanted to know how much difference does the heat exchanger on pot makes, and finally got around to do some tests.
Excellent idea. smile

Setup is as following, Brunton Vapor AF running on butane canister in liquid feed mode.
Liquid feed mode? The three legged adapter appears to be right side up which I typically associate with vapor feed. Did you take some steps that are not readily apparent to switch to liquid feed mode?

Primus 1L eta power and alutech. Litech would be directly comparable but I don't have one, alutech feels thinner and lacks anti-stick coating, but that shouldn't make any difference.
Both are aluminum, so they should be roughly comparable, but you raise a good issue: It's hard to isolate the effects of just the heat exchanger. Nevertheless, your tests should give us a good feel for what's going on.

Test was done inside to eliminate any environmental factor, each pot was filled with 300ml cold tap water and brought to rolling boil, in triplicates.
This is not a criticism (these are good tests!), but one thing to note is that out in the field a heat exchanger can some times give you increased wind resistance in addition to better heat transfer.

Quote:
Boiling time:

eta pot alutech
3'30 4'10
3'23 4'12
3'27 4'20

Average difference of 48 seconds, 23% more efficient.
Well, faster anyway. Boil time is a measure of speed. Efficiency is really about how much "work" (as measured by grams of fuel) it takes to achieve a result. However, if testing with the same stove with the same flame level, speed and efficiency go hand-in-hand, so your results really do reflect efficiency, and your results here are valid.

The thing to watch out for is when two different stoves are compared. If stove "A" boils water in 4:20 but uses 15g of fuel to do so and stove "B" boils water in 5:05 but uses only 9g to do so, the stove "B" is more efficient even though stove "A" is faster.

Quote:
I suspect on bigger pots with bigger exchanger the result would be closer [to Primus' claimed efficiency numbers].
Not sure. Interesting question though. Generally, a wider pot is more efficient at heat transfer than a taller pot. But if you widen both pots equally, would the pot with the heat exchanger pull out ahead in terms of efficiency? I'm not sure that it would.

I definitely would take a wide pot with a heat exchanger over a narrow pot without one. smile

HJ

#244057 - 03/29/12 11:14 PM Re: Testing heat exchanger pot efficiency [Re: Hikin_Jim]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
I rotated the canister the other way to make the pickup tube pointing down, and if I turn off the canister valve the stove will still go for a while so I know it's in liquid mode.

As far as I can tell in stores, the litech is basically an eta pot without heat exchanger, so if I had one it would be as close it'll get short of kill another eta pot.

The exchanger itself on bigger eta pot is larger than the 1L pot, so I imagine it would pick up more heat. I do have another bigger eta pot, maybe I can test it against the small one some day.

#244194 - 03/31/12 08:19 PM Re: Testing heat exchanger pot efficiency [Re: Hikin_Jim]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim

Quote:
I suspect on bigger pots with bigger exchanger the result would be closer [to Primus' claimed efficiency numbers].
Not sure. Interesting question though. Generally, a wider pot is more efficient at heat transfer than a taller pot. But if you widen both pots equally, would the pot with the heat exchanger pull out ahead in terms of efficiency? I'm not sure that it would.

I definitely would take a wide pot with a heat exchanger over a narrow pot without one. smile

HJ

Since its all about surface area I would take a pot with a potskirt smile
prefering a pot that is slightly taller than it is wide
( SA( 478.5) d(10.0) h( 12.7) v(1.0) )
Code:
surface area of a pot available for heat gain
bottom + sides 
pi*(r^2) + 2*pi*r*h
SA(cm^2)   d(  cm) h(   cm) v(liter)
SA(2003.1) d( 2.0) h(318.3) v(1.0) -- pipe
SA(1012.6) d( 4.0) h( 79.6) v(1.0) -- pipe
SA( 694.9) d( 6.0) h( 35.4) v(1.0) -- pipe
SA( 550.3) d( 8.0) h( 19.9) v(1.0) -- pipe
SA( 514.2) d(20.0) h(  3.2) v(1.0) -- skillet
SA( 478.5) d(10.0) h( 12.7) v(1.0) -- pot
SA( 476.7) d(18.0) h(  3.9) v(1.0) -- skillet
SA( 451.1) d(16.0) h(  5.0) v(1.0)
SA( 446.4) d(12.0) h(  8.8) v(1.0)
SA( 439.7) d(14.0) h(  6.5) v(1.0)

New publication for all those interested in efficient stoves
Test Results of Cook Stove Performance
Originally Posted By: http://www.pciaonline.org/files/Test-Results-Cookstove-Performance.pdf
Four techniques to boil water faster:
1. Create a large enough fire in the combustion chamber.
2. Force the gases to flow against the bottom and sides of the pot in narrow channels.
3. Make sure the gases are as hot as possible.
4. Increase the speed of the hot gases flowing over the surface of the pot.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 633 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.